Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SSID and connection questions for R7800 Router with R7000 in AP mode

cabchop
Tutor

SSID and connection questions for R7800 Router with R7000 in AP mode

Current set up: Ranch style house with the two devices set up on opposite sides of the house.  R7800 acts as Main Router (one side of house ) and uses both 2.4 and 5 channels with seperate SSIDs.  On the other side of the house I have an R7000(AP mode) using the Smart Connect with one SSID (2500Sqft).   I often find my devices will stay connected to a very weak signal (from opposite side device) until I manually change the connection to a closer/stronger signal.  While this is not a major issue there has to be a better way to set this up.   Should I be using the same SSIDs?  I'm not a fan of having 3-4 SSID's.  I get tired of coaching my wife to switch SSID's when her connection is slow.... 

Spoiler
Smiley Tongue
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
cabchop
Tutor

Re: SSID and connection questions for R7800 Router with R7000 in AP mode

Appreciate the insight. I suspect one would have the same issues with the latest mesh WIFI offerings as well?  Looking into the Orbi and others as they offer one SSID.   I've used the Smart Connect feature on the R7000 and seem to maintain quality speeds.  Unfortunately, the R7800 does not offer this feature.  I suspect I'm not alone in my quest for one SSID.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

It's called sticky clients. Most won't disconnect until ther is no connection. Forcing you to reconnect to another SSID.  Roaming does not work with the home router stuff.. Better to move to an Enterrpise AP. Ubiquity's UNIFI line have great AP's ( I use two unifi AC Pro's with cloud key controller - I also have 3 R7000's powered off and for sale!! ;)). All iDevices, Androids, and Laptops roam seamlessly. It would really help if there was a Minimum RSSI setting so you could force the clients off the AP in question. 

Sticky Clien Article

Message 2 of 4
cabchop
Tutor

Appreciate the insight. I suspect one would have the same issues with the latest mesh WIFI offerings as well?  Looking into the Orbi and others as they offer one SSID.   I've used the Smart Connect feature on the R7000 and seem to maintain quality speeds.  Unfortunately, the R7800 does not offer this feature.  I suspect I'm not alone in my quest for one SSID.

Message 3 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi cabchop,

You may try the Orbi router which can cater the feature you want.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7