Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SSID naming of R8000 along with Frontier Fios Actiontec Router

SandiR2
Follower

SSID naming of R8000 along with Frontier Fios Actiontec Router

Hi - I'm minimally "tech-y" but do know enought to be dangerous, so I apologize in advance if my terminology is off or if I don't understand an explanation right off. 🙂 I currently have an Actiontec through Frontier Fios. The range on it is terrible, and it was originally installed in the back corner of the house (I have no idea what contractor thought this was a good idea!) so I upgraded to the AC3200/R8000. I haven't installed it yet.

Since everyone's devices (many) already have the Fios router's SSID and password set up, I wondered if it is possible to turn off the WiFi on the Actiontec but then name the AC3200 with that same (previous) SSID and use the current password. If that is even possible, is there any downside to doing it that way? I'm hoping to get coverage through the whole house (aprox 2500 sq ft, one story, concrete block construction) with the router still in the current position at the back of the house, but if necessary I can run a new wire and put it in the living room, which is pretty much in the center.

I'll also have a Time Capsule included in the network since my daughter uses it for nightly backups of her MacBook Pro. It's set up as an AP currently. I'm assuming I'll just need to go in to its settings and enter the new SSID, if I can't keep the old one. Correct?

Thank you,

Sandi

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

I see no reason why you cannot use the same SSID and password that you were using with the ISP provided router as long as you have disabled the wireless on the ISP provided router. Best, if you can, get the ISP modem/router set to bridge. Then you can use the r8000 as a router. If bridging off is not an option then the r8000 would need to be configured as an AP. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
myersw
Master

I see no reason why you cannot use the same SSID and password that you were using with the ISP provided router as long as you have disabled the wireless on the ISP provided router. Best, if you can, get the ISP modem/router set to bridge. Then you can use the r8000 as a router. If bridging off is not an option then the r8000 would need to be configured as an AP. 

Message 2 of 3
IrvSp
Master

2500 SqFt might not be a problem... but that number doesn't tell the whole story.

First, 5Ghz will not reach as far as 2.4Ghz, but it does have a stronger signal that the 2.4Ghz basically at the same distance from the router until it reaches its limit, which is shorter than the 2.4Ghz limit.

All that assumes NO interference, and wall construction and contents in the wall between a device and router does make a difference.

Basically, a 2500 SqFt home could be 50 feet x 50 feet vs. 25 feet x 100 feet. Both are the same Sqft, so what really matters is linear distance from the router. In either band, assuming 'normal' walls and no local interference from other signals, 50 to 60 feet away should not present a problem for either band. Further, well it probably varies by a few different factors, include the antennea's on the devices.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7