STRICT NAT/DOUBLE NAT on Xbox Live

DiaI
Aspirant

STRICT NAT/DOUBLE NAT on Xbox Live

I have port forwarded all the required network ports that are required for Xbox Live and it still doesn't work. When I am on Advanced Settings on my network settings on my Xbox One it says: NAT Type: STRICT and that I have a double nat. What steps do I take next to resolve this issue? I am on a fiber based internet service provider. My UPnP is currently on by default.  IPv6 is currently disabled. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Not sure what other information to give. Would love to get this finally resolved.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: STRICT NAT/DOUBLE NAT on Xbox Live

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk
Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Good Luck

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router SXK30(v.122) and R8500(v.158) Router Mode and Wired Backhaul | Switches NG GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 2 of 6
Krethys
Apprentice

Definitely sounds like you have two devices trying to do the NAT'ing for you. The above post should definitely help. I had this issue too a few years back and did those same steps it it fixed the issue. When you have two devices trying to NAT a route it throws a confusion to your console and defintely impacts gameplay greatly and you'll find you can't play with many players or even find matches online. Your port forwarding may be golden and it could help but typically UPnP would do the job. Let us know how it goes!!

Message 3 of 6
DiaI
Aspirant

Thanks for the response! I see the response above yours and honestly I don't even know where to start. All I have is a router (r7000 nighthawk). I don't know if I have a modem? There is a little rectangle box connected to the wall outlet that runs a wire to the routers "internet" port. Is this the modem? If so how do I make changes to the router and the modem?

Message 4 of 6
DiaI
Aspirant

Message 5 of 6
Krethys
Apprentice

You would run an ethernet from your computer directly to the modem and or the router depending on which you wanna configure first. Then you can open up either 'powershell' or 'command prompt' and enter the command "ipconfig". It'll return a bunch of network adapters that are on your computer but you should look for the one that states ethernet. Look for "Default Gateway"; this is what your computer goes to to get out to the internet, otherwise where you are directly connected to typically. Take that IP address and paste it into your web browser. Many home networks use the following but these can be changeable {10.0.0.1}{10.0.1.1}{192.168.1.1}{192.168.90.1}. It'll prompt you for your username and password. Input those into the authentication box, if you are unsure, you can either contact your ISP or google your modem or router (Dependent on what you're connected to) and then find the default login credentials. 

Another method that is way easier but less recommended as it exposes your device to the dirtynet "internet" meaning hackers or anyone could target your gaming device. I have done this in the past as it's an easy fix and I normally don't care if they try to target my console :P. You could even lookup tutorials on this but you could get your console's IP address, I am sure you know how to do this and go into your router like the above paragraph gets you to and then place that IP in your "DMZ" this will negate all portforwarding and NATing and basically allow everything to and from your console to the internet. It's VERY effective in fixing NAT issues and could cut down on troubleshooting time. Let me know if you need anymore information!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E