Highlighted
Aspirant

Saved device values are replaced with default values

I have a R7000P router with the most recent firmware (V1.3.1.64_10.1.36) and quite a few devices connected. 

I name all my devices manually.  So, I go to Advanced/Administration/Attached Devices, select a device, edit it, name it, and it appears to save in the list until a minute later it gets reset back to the default.  The device type, device model, and device name are all editable, but do not persist with the values entered.  This may also happen when you try to edit a device from Advanced/Security/Access Control.

I have attached an animated gif that demonstrates the bug.

Others have reported this same issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000P-Router-won-t-save-device-settings/td-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/App-won-t-let-me-save-device-names/td-p/1670829

2019-05-12 17.59.50.gif

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 23
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Saved device values are replaced with default values

I will forward this issue on to engineering.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 2 of 23
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Do you have Armor enabled if so what is the device name on Netgear Armor portal? 

DarrenM 

Message 3 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

Do you have Armor enabled if so what is the device name on Netgear Armor portal? 

DarrenM 

I am not using Armor.

Message 4 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

I will forward this issue on to engineering.

Thanks

DarrenM

Thanks so much DarrenM for doing that!

Message 5 of 23
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Can you try to dissconnet your roku box and then try to edit your attached devices. It has been brought to my attention that it worked for another user.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

Can you try to dissconnet your roku box and then try to edit your attached devices. It has been brought to my attention that it worked for another user.

DarrenM

I did what you asked, but the "device model" reverted to the original value:

1) turn off roku
2) update "device model" of roku from attached devices list
3) refresh attached devices list -> roku missing as expected
4) turn on roku
5) refresh attached devices list
6) roku appears with updated "device model"
7) refresh attached devices list
9) roku name reverted to original "device model"

I can report that the "device name" field -- unlike the "device model" field -- does not revert back to the original after being changed.  "device priority" also permanently saves properly.

Being able to edit the "device model" field is important because sometimes the default value is unexpected.  For example my HP LaserJet printer has the default "device model" of "Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.".  I  would like to set that to "HP" but cannot since it reverts back to the original.

Message 7 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I can also report that the device image in the attached devices list doesn't always show the correct image, e.g.,

1) edit iphone device

2) edit screen shows "device type" as "iPhone" and the image shown is the image of an iphone

3) apply settings

4) the attached devices row for that device shows the "unknown" image instead of the "iPhone" image

Here is a screencast of the defecrt:

2019-05-18 10.25.43.gif

Message 8 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Here is another defect: The edit device screen shows the default "device name" instead of the value that it is currently set to.  So in order maintain the currently saved value you have to re-enter the name.  Here is a screencast showing the defect:

2019-05-18 10.40.19.gif

Message 9 of 23
Highlighted

Had the problem of R8000 router not showing correct device names, etc. since the beginning of time. Worked with technical support for many hours of my life that I will never get back to no avail. Got excited when the new Nighthawk android app was available and tried to use that to set the correct device icons and names but guess what? They change for 1 second and then revert back. Anyone who searches this issue can see the vast number of users who have this issue. There are so many other issues with the web page interface, incorrect info, etc, that Netgear should refund a portion of the money paid for this expensive pain in the A**!!!!!!!!!!!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Did this ever get resolved as having the exact same problem on mine and only got it yesterday!!!
Message 11 of 23
Highlighted

@Ins4neuk 

No, this issue is ongoing across multiple models and multiple FW revisions.  Its been over a year, maybe longer.  I've just gven up. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 12 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

@shadowsports 

is this the same for every unit or is it hit and miss, so if i swapped it i might get one that works or would that just also do exactly the same??

i'm guessing it'll be just as broke Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 23
Highlighted

Hi,

There is nothing hit or miss.  The feature is broken, across several models and several FW versions.  You can't get "one' that works and one that doesn't.  Its broken.     

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 14 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

This problem exists on the new R8000P (Nighthawk X6S AC4000) with the very latest firmware as well. Hey Netgear... this problem has persisted long enough,where's the solution?

Keep on shining!
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I solved the problem in the end.... I sacked off the netgear pile of turd and I brought an Asus GT-AX11000 and never looked back. Far better kit and not missed a beat yet.
Message 16 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same issue, some settings are saved and others revert back after a short period of time.  I have tried using both the Orbi App and the web interface, neither work as expected...  Given how many things are connected to a router these days it's really helpful to look at this and see if there's something rogue on the network.

This is really disappointing, obvioulsy an issue with persistence.

Netgear - if you're paying attention please fix this

Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V2.5.0.38
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.360
Operation Mode Router

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

This issue has been going since at least 2018. I have an R6700v3, no amount of any retrying, typing, or order of editing allows the changes to stick. As soon as the screen refreshes everything goes back to default.
Message 18 of 23
Highlighted
Apprentice

I really don't know how much info we can pump to the wizards that be in regards to this nonsense. This is now gone to the most ridicilous patch ever that is going unresolved. I give up. Wish I'd a stayed with Linksys. This is crazy guys. They ain't doing a damn thing about this guys. I feel like a idiot waiting for these netgear guys to fix this BS. Netgear sucks. I don't know what else to say. How many years now????  LOL...

Message 19 of 23
Highlighted
Apprentice

Good God, Don't use Armor, That's even a bigger pile of garbage.

Message 20 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well, the bigger issue here is with persistence of modified data; the fact that it's not saving changes should be a huge red flag in both your development process and regression testing system (read devOps if you do that correctly).  This is not rocket science!  As a 25 year veteran of developing software I suggest you take a look at infrastructure and how you develop quality applications before doing anything else.  As you can see, users are frustrated at the lack of communication and lack of fixes; probably what you have going for you is similar customers ranting on your competitor sites!  All it takes however is one breakthrough high quality product and perceived reputation for people to move to an alternative set of devices...  Not sure if that exists yet but it will eventually.

Message 21 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did move. I sent it back after 3 days and brought an asus gt ax1100. Never looked back since
Message 22 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was thinking about this some more, apologies for the slight diversion here but bear with me...

I just recently had my car serviced, it's been in the shop for a while and so when I got it back I was excited to finally be driving it once again.  Unfortuantely after just a few miles I noticed some real basic issues:

- iPhone charging cable buried in a fascia panel that had been removed

- front camera sensor warning

- Oil percentage down to 90% (should be 100% after an oil change)

- Windscreen wipers were completely in the wrong location

This got be thinking, these are the obvious things that I can see; what have they missed that I can't see; can I trust these people with my car???

And after a little pondering about this bigger issue I see parallels to this $400 Orbi router.  I rely on Netgear to keep my network safe and secure, if the basic things don't work, how can I be sure the underlying infrastucture/security is any good???

Netgear, please convince us?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements