Seamless Home Connectivity

sgoodman
Follower

Seamless Home Connectivity

I added the R6900 to my existing C6300 using ethernet connection between the 2 routers, so I can get WiFi coverage throughout the house. I have a few questions to get automatic WiFi switching on phone (iPhone) or pc's (Intel - Windows 10) when moving through the house:

1) Can I use the same SSID and password on both C6300 and R6900 to seamlessly select and switch bewtween routers when moving through the house?  If no, how do I automatically select router WiFi without manually selecting the WiFi connection on phone/pc? 

2) Will phone/pc always start off automatically on strongest WiFi signal independent of router?

3) When moving through house will phone/pc automatically switch to strongest WiFi signal or will it remain on router that it started on?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0, R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Seamless Home Connectivity

@sgoodman wrote:

I added the R6900 to my existing C6300 using ethernet connection between the 2 routers, so I can get WiFi coverage throughout the house. I have a few questions to get automatic WiFi switching on phone (iPhone) or pc's (Intel - Windows 10) when moving through the house:

1) Can I use the same SSID and password on both C6300 and R6900 to seamlessly select and switch bewtween routers when moving through the house?  If no, how do I automatically select router WiFi without manually selecting the WiFi connection on phone/pc? 

2) Will phone/pc always start off automatically on strongest WiFi signal independent of router?

3) When moving through house will phone/pc automatically switch to strongest WiFi signal or will it remain on router that it started on?

1. yes you can use the same ssid and password. Will it be seamless? No. neither device is a mesh system with something controlling it.  I've read of some apps that you can set them to automatically roam based off rssi strength but i don't know of them off the top of my head.  

2. depends on your phone. the device is what chooses which wifi to connect to. not the router.

3. no. It won't automatically roam. They'll tend to be "sticky" in that they'll tend to stick with one signal/router until the signal gets to bad to use. 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
also in AP setup: RAXE500->EAX80
1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E