Second R7000 as access point not connecting to internet

Pbcsd
Aspirant

Second R7000 as access point not connecting to internet

Purchased a second r7000 to use as an access point. It is hardwired via the wan connection to the primary router.

When I connect to genie, it doesn't recognize that the router is behind another.

However, I went into advanced settings and changed it to an access point as described in the help section.

But once it reboots I can no longer access the Internet on the second router. Nor can I get back into the routers setup menu.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here?

Tx

Message 1 of 10
Pbcsd
Aspirant

Re: Second R7000 as access point not connecting to internet

Message 2 of 10
Pbcsd
Aspirant

Some quick other info:

1. When I try to connect to the new routers ssid I get a "failed to obtain ip address" error on my mobile devices
2. If I connect directly via a world connection and laptop I simply get a no Internet error
Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Try to log into the second R7000 using a browser from a laptop connected to the first R7000. Look at the attached devices screen on the first R7000 to find the IP address assigned to the second.

If you can't login then it's possible that it's not getting an IP address. Reset it to factory defaults using the reset button and reconfigure it again.
Message 4 of 10
Pbcsd
Aspirant

Thanks, tried that already. I must be doing something wrong and not seeing it. Weird thing is when I performed a ipconfig\all the IP address provided was really odd and even entering that didn't access the second router.
Message 5 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the R7000 is in AP mode, but for some reason is unable to communicate with the gateway router, then any device that connects to it will not be able to obtain an IP address, because the R7000 has its DHCP server disabled in AP mode. The connected computer probably has an APIPA address (self allocated) 169.254.xxx.yyy

I suspect that your connection back to the gateway router might be bad, check the cabling. To regain access to the R7000 AP it’s probably easiest to just factory reset it back to router mode. Connected computers will then obtain an IP address from the R7000, but might not have Internet access. You should then be able to log into the R7000 and take a look at its status page, particularly its WAN (Internet) status. When you are sure that it’s talking to the gateway router on its WAN port then try the AP mode option again via the router GUI.

Pbcsd
Aspirant

Will check the cabling but it was working fine attached and not in AP mode (received an IP address from the main router) Also have full green lights on the patch panel it is connected to, but will confirm with a cable tester when I get home.
Message 7 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@Pbcsd wrote:
Thanks, tried that already. I must be doing something wrong and not seeing it. Weird thing is when I performed a ipconfig\all the IP address provided was really odd and even entering that didn't access the second router.

Just to be clear, these are the steps I asked you to follow. 

1. You connected a laptop to your FIRST R7000. 
  2. You looked at the Attached Devices page to find the IP address assigned to your SECOND R7000 running in AP mode. 
  3. You then entered that IP address in your laptop's browser and tried to log into the second R7000.

I suspect that you did not follow the first step of connecting the laptop to the first R7000.

Message 8 of 10
matt604
Aspirant

I seem to be having same problem. Don't have two R7000's though. Have an Actiontec from my internet provider. Connected one of its ports to the LAN port on the R7000. Have done a factory reset on the R7000 but not able to get it's start page to load and all wireless devices just spin trying to connect. The Actiontec does show an IP address for the R7000 but as mentioned a browser on a computer hard wired into the network cannot load the R7000 gui. I will try another reset but very frustrated why its not working. I'm running the latest firmware V1.0.5.48_1.1.79.

I appreciate any and all solutions or troubleshooting tips.

Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Connect the R7000's WAN port to your Actiontec. Unlike older routers, the WAN port is still used in AP mode. In some respects, it's a clever design decision because it keeps the wiring consistent regardless of operating mode (i.e. router or AP), though it can trip up folks who are used to the old ways.

You may need to explicitly enable AP mode by logging into the router.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements