Security cameras and email notification

jws9500
Aspirant

Security cameras and email notification

I have a couple security cameras operating on a computer being used as the server for the cameras and I am trying to get an email notification sent from the cameras to my email address. I have tried getting this set up on the camera but keep getting a test failed on the camera. Is there any particular thing I need to do with my router to get this to work.. I have tried disabling my firewall and various setting on the camera itself but with no luck.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Message 1 of 15
fordem
Mentor

Re: Security cameras and email notification

This is a question better asked of the camera manufacturer support - "test failed" really doesn't provide a lot of information. What I can tell you is this - the router will not prevent the camera from sending mail unless you specifically tell it to - so the problem is most likely either an incorrect setup on the camera, or an authentication issue with the mail server. Most email systems now require authentication before they will accept "mail relay" so if the camera can not authenticate for some reason - wrong user, wrong password, wrong protocol, wrong port - the test will fail.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Many ISPs also block port 25 as a way to reduce spam injection from infected PCs.
Message 3 of 15
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have used/use a great many IP cameras and find that the e-mail service is notoriously difficult to get working, in most cases I give up. On a few occasions I have used free email services and have had some success.

What server software are you using? I use iSpy.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

TheEther wrote:
Many ISPs also block port 25 as a way to reduce spam injection from infected PCs.

Very few email providers even use port 25 anymore. That's the biggest stumbling block I've found when setting up email notification from devices like cameras or NAS boxes or whatever - figuring out what TCP port your email provider is using. If they're using SSL, then it's likely port 587 I believe.
Message 5 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Yes, port 587 is the recommended port for email clients to use, but some ISPs also use port 465 (e.g. Yahoo). The ports differ in that 587 requires authentication (e.g. username and password) whereas 465 is secure (i.e. runs over SSL). Contrary to belief, port 587 does not require SSL, although it certainly can be used if supported by the server.
Message 6 of 15
gerick
Aspirant

htismaqe wrote:
Very few email providers even use port 25 anymore. That's the biggest stumbling block I've found when setting up email notification from devices like cameras or NAS boxes or whatever ...

And the Netgear R7000, I cannot get it to email logs because it doesn't support SSL and both my email providers require it.
Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

TheEther, You're right, thanks for refreshing my memory. 465 is generally standard SSL (e.g. Yahoo) and 587 is generally just username/password (although it can support SSL).
Message 8 of 15
theoak
Luminary

I have 4 cameras that can email no problem through an R7000 and a Zyxel UTM and a DSL router. They are all the same brand though, FOSCAM. The email alerts on the cameras work just fine.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 9 of 15
jws9500
Aspirant

The cameras are Hikvision.

I have tried a variety of email addresses, gmail and Hotmail for example. I am positive the login information correct as I logged into the gmail with the same user name and password that I typed into the camera setup. I am using port 465 but I have tried other ports as well with no success.

As far as the server software, I am using the IVMS that came with the cameras. I have also tried setting this up both through the IVMS software and directly through the camera setups with no luck.

I also got tech help from the store I bought the cameras from and he had no luck either after 90 minutes of trying. I was just hoping there was something I was missing in the router setup that would fix it.

The email test fails and doesn't seem to send past the computer I am trying on, so something, somewhere on the computer is blocking it seemingly.. or like as one user said, these can be notorious to setup.
Message 10 of 15
theoak
Luminary

I have had the R7000 in both router and access point modes ... email worked just fine. No special setup was required.

When I had it as my router, I did have to setup port forward rules, but now that I have my network appliance with the R7000 as an access point, the rules are on the network appliance.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 11 of 15
fordem
Mentor

jws9500 wrote:
I have tried a variety of email addresses, gmail and Hotmail for example. I am positive the login information correct as I logged into the gmail with the same user name and password that I typed into the camera setup.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but there are two different aspects of the email alerts, the sending aspect, and the receiving aspect - just as an example - you can use one email account to send, and a different one to receive - I use my the email account I have with my ISP, and send the alert to my gmail account.

As far as the server software, I am using the IVMS that came with the cameras. I have also tried setting this up both through the IVMS software and directly through the camera setups with no luck.

Can the IVMS send email alerts or do they have to come from the camera?

The email test fails and doesn't seem to send past the computer I am trying on, so something, somewhere on the computer is blocking it seemingly.. or like as one user said, these can be notorious to setup.

If it is the camera that is sending the email alert then why should there be anything, anywhere on the computer blocking it? On the other hand if it is the IVMS that is sending the alerts, then it is entirely possible that something like a software firewall could block it.

I understand that this is challenging and more than likely frustrating, but trying random things is not a productive approach - be systematic.

Q1 - What does your email provider require/permit when sending mail?
Q2 - Can the camera or IVMS meet those requirements?
Q3 - Assuming that both the camera & the software meet the requirements, decide which one you want to use

One last thing - it's been about six years since last I attempted this with a camera, and as I mentioned I used my ISPs mail servers to send the alerts, so don't expect specifics from me, even if I could provide them, they probably wouldn't work for you.

Message 12 of 15
jws9500
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

I have tried sending and receiving from different accounts with no luck.

The IVMS software or the cameras have the ability to do this, but neither worked and both would fail on the email test.

My gmail account was tested on a different camera system (not mine) and the test worked with no issues other than having to change to less secure apps in the Gmail settings. I tried that on mine, but it isn't even getting that far with a test fail.

I am not aware of any restrictions regarding email, other than setting up the proper port within this system.

I contacted my internet provider and they indicated that had no restrictions for cameras and email alerts.
Message 13 of 15
fordem
Mentor

Have you been able to determine specifically what protocol(s) the camera(s) and IVMS software support?

Message 14 of 15
jws9500
Aspirant

From my understanding it should be just a matter of plugging in the email information, the correct port, the email server information for the specific email you are using and that's it.

This should work as easily as setting up the app for viewing the cameras on my phone, which works just fine.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E