Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Security flaws if only used as access points

cmartorelli
Guide

Security flaws if only used as access points

I have read the recient artical about the vulnerability with netgear routers. I have two netgear R7000 running older firmware V1.0.9.42_10.2.44. I do not upgrade because every newer verson of firmware I try my routers become unsatble. I do not use them as routers, I have a Rdge Router X, but I do use the nighthalks as my wifi access points. So am I secure scince my traffice is going throught the edge router first.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: Security flaws if only used as access points

Greetings,

See the following link...

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

Scroll down a little bit.  It shows all of the security advisories, models affected, and the minimum version of FW required to be protected..  In the case of the R7000, 1.0.9.42 has protection against the recently discovered exploits. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
microchip8
Master

What are those vulnerabilities? Can you point to a link?

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Message 3 of 7

The list of affected routers is extensive. There are over 50 affected models. @microchip8, the 7800 is that the top of the list although I see you're running Voxell FW.

Not trying to panic everyone but this is one of those situations where everyone should really update their firmware.

The vulnerability rating on some of the affected models is 9 out of 10. This should not be ignored.

I've already upgraded my R8000P. I'm going to do my R6400 and Orbi's this weekend. My R7000 is off right now at the summer house.

This is one time where not upgrading could have serious consequences for people.
Message 4 of 7
microchip8
Master

I read through the thread on SNBForums and it appears that Voxel's firmware is not vulnerable. He fixed many (all?) issues in his firmware a few versions back and I run the very latest of his

Message 5 of 7
cmartorelli
Guide

I am the original poster. I am sorry for all the typos on my first post, my phones auto correct took over. In regards to the vulnerability with netgear routers, do I need to worry if I do not use my night walks as routers? I just used them as access points. They are two netgear R7000 running older firmware V1.0.9.42_10.2.44. I have an Edge Router X, all my traffic is going through the edge router first.

Thanks

Message 6 of 7

Greetings,

See the following link...

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

Scroll down a little bit.  It shows all of the security advisories, models affected, and the minimum version of FW required to be protected..  In the case of the R7000, 1.0.9.42 has protection against the recently discovered exploits. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7