Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Set priority for Roku Ultra @ R7800

BulaBamboo
Aspirant

Set priority for Roku Ultra @ R7800

I am attempting to set my Roku Ultra priority to low per the instructions here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24266/How-to-enable-Quality-of-Service-QoS-on-routers-using-the-NETGEAR-web-i... to reduce my data usage.  My QoS page doens't have Setup QoS rule > Add Priority Rule option.  Also, when I select the Take a Speedtest option, I get 'The Speedtest failed to detect the bandwidth, please check your Internet or try again' when I'm clearly connected.  Any ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@BulaBamboo wrote:

I am attempting to set my Roku Ultra priority to low per the instructions here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24266/How-to-enable-Quality-of-Service-QoS-on-routers-using-the-NETGEAR-web-i... to reduce my data usage. 

These instructions are not applicable for your router model (see the information ref. "this applies to").

Further on, QoS does not reduce the amount of data, it just tries to optimize some protocols, ports, and applications data flow.

@BulaBamboo wrote:

My QoS page doens't have Setup QoS rule > Add Priority Rule option. 

The R7800 has like many newer Netgear routers the automatic, database driven QoS in place - no manual priority controls.

@BulaBamboo wrote:

Also, when I select the Take a Speedtest option, I get 'The Speedtest failed to detect the bandwidth, please check your Internet or try again' when I'm clearly connected. 

Probably a bug in your unspecified R7800 firmware version, or your uplink provider does prohibit using certain systems or domains.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@BulaBamboo wrote:

I am attempting to set my Roku Ultra priority to low per the instructions here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24266/How-to-enable-Quality-of-Service-QoS-on-routers-using-the-NETGEAR-web-i... to reduce my data usage. 

These instructions are not applicable for your router model (see the information ref. "this applies to").

Further on, QoS does not reduce the amount of data, it just tries to optimize some protocols, ports, and applications data flow.

@BulaBamboo wrote:

My QoS page doens't have Setup QoS rule > Add Priority Rule option. 

The R7800 has like many newer Netgear routers the automatic, database driven QoS in place - no manual priority controls.

@BulaBamboo wrote:

Also, when I select the Take a Speedtest option, I get 'The Speedtest failed to detect the bandwidth, please check your Internet or try again' when I'm clearly connected. 

Probably a bug in your unspecified R7800 firmware version, or your uplink provider does prohibit using certain systems or domains.

Message 2 of 10
BulaBamboo
Aspirant

Thanks for the thorough reply to all of my queries.  Not what I wanted to hear, of course, but thanks.

Message 3 of 10
RMinNJ
Luminary

??  Turn on QoS and set the speed of your QoS  manually  to 85 to 95% of your internet bandwidth.    Go the sttached devices page and set the prioirity you want for your Roku.

Message 4 of 10
BulaBamboo
Aspirant

Thanks for replyng.  According to schumaku:  'The R7800 has like many newer Netgear routers the automatic, database driven QoS in place - no manual priority controls'.  If that's true, I can't set the priority for a specific device like my Roku.  When I click on it (Roku) there are no options to change any settings.  I see the option to define my bandwidth but I'm not sure I want to reduce everthing.  

Message 5 of 10
RMinNJ
Luminary

..then set it equal to your bandwidth then.   You need to have QoS checked on/enabled if you want the priorty buttons to be available on your attached devices page..

Message 6 of 10
BulaBamboo
Aspirant

Done & done.   I set the Roku to Low, it was @ Medium but I didn't have QoS enabled.  Sounds like I need to binge watch something to test it out.  Wish me luck.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 10

How fast is your internet speed?

Message 8 of 10
BulaBamboo
Aspirant

30 / 7 Mbps on average.

Message 9 of 10

OK. Slow enough to provide some benefit from QoS.

People sometimes fret about QoS when they have >200 Mbps Internet, which then gets them into territory where QoS slows things down because of its drain on processor power.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7