Perran
Follower

Set up router for home networking no Internet

(Model is actually AD7200 Nighthawk X10 (R9000), not in the selections above.)

May be an odd question, but I ask because of earlier problems with the setup of routers, older models (DLINK, Linksys, ASUS, wathever).

May dogs have @grounded@ my current router (ASUS RT-N66U).

I need a new router for my home network, mainly as a "hub" in my music system, consisting of a server, a NAS for music storage, and some "player devices'.

The user interfaces (playing) are on WiFi.

I have Internet via a separate router (from the ISP) on fiber.

That is, the Nighthawk (or similar) will not be directly connected to the ISP.

I have on other routers encontered problems in the setup app when I did not configured the setup for the ISP, which is not possible in my case.

The App refused to complete the setup when there was no Internet configured.

Does these new Nighthawk routers allow me sto set it up without Internet ?

Regards and thanks !

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 3

Re: Set up router for home networking no Internet

@Perran wrote:

(Model is actually AD7200 Nighthawk X10 (R9000), not in the selections above.)

Model is R9000. AD7200 is a wifi speed indicator.

@Perran wrote:

I need a new router for my home network, mainly as a "hub" in my music system, consisting of a server, a NAS for music storage, and some "player devices'.

@Perran wrote:

I have Internet via a separate router (from the ISP) on fiber.

That is, the Nighthawk (or similar) will not be directly connected to the ISP.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Adding an R9000 to an existing router is not a good idea.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
IrvSp
Master

Re: Set up router for home networking no Internet

First you can do anything you need without an Internet connection to NG router. Can't always use mobile apps though. Those can require the Internet connection.

However, on most devices, mobile or wired, you can use a Browser. Log into routerlogin.net (or 192.168.1.1 which is the usual default IP Address) and use the default login credentials, admin and password. Once in you should have no problems setting it up.

However you may encounter other problems. Namely interfence with 2 routers, probably in close proximity sending out radio signals. Also duplicated IP Addresses on different devices possibly.

I'd make sure the SSID's on the same band are far apart in the channels they use, and if at all possible, change the router IP Address to be a different Private set to avoid the duplicated addresses (or restrict the DHCP range on each to be different).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements