Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set up the Router as a WiFi Repeater

crawfost
Aspirant

Set up the Router as a WiFi Repeater

The user manual Page 86 has and easy 12 step process for setting up a Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000.  I have been unsuccessful following these instructions step by step.  Is there alternative reference with additional specific to converting from router to repeater?  For example, can the base station be set to band steering or does this switch need to be off?  Setting the repeater to the identical SSID and setting security to none and entering the base station MAC address how does the repeater connect without a password?  None of the support pages seem to have sufficient details to successfully set up.  Appreciate any assistance in extending my WiFi coverage.  Thanks.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: Set up the Router as a WiFi Repeater

IIRC, repeater mode is not supported by the stock firmware

You also don't want a repeater as it cuts bandwidth in half due to constant need to stay connected to the main router

Message 2 of 4
crawfost
Aspirant

Little surprised that Netgear would publish a capability in the User Manual when the service is not available.
Message 3 of 4

@crawfost wrote:
Little surprised that Netgear would publish a capability in the User Manual when the service is not available.

I'm not that surprised, it isn't the only error in the manuals, but I am also not convinced that it doesn't support WDS. Then again, Netgear has "upgraded" firmware in ways that removing some features to make way for services that it can charge for.

One way to achieve this, and to get around the technical issue that @microchip8 mentioned, would be to use Powerline Ethernet and put the R7000 into wireless access point (AP) mode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7