Re: Setting up Nighthawk X10 behind AT&T BGW210-700 gateway

Setting up Nighthawk X10 behind AT&T BGW210-700 gateway

Hello all,

I apologize if this has already been posted. For the life of me I couldn't find a post that matched.

I have a R9000 - Nighthawk X10 router behind an AT&T BGW210-700 home gateway. I want to be able to use the full router functions of my Nighthawk, but for now had to just put it in AP mode. 

I tried and tried to find the correct configuration for my router and the AT&T gateway, but always ended up with a double NAT situation.

Does anyone have the proper configs for both the gateway and the nighthawk? I've turned the Wi-Fi off on the gateway, and only use the Ethernet ports on it (and would hopefully still be able to use the ports, as I need that many hardwired ports).

Anyway, any help is GREATLY appreciated, as I just had to give up and go to AP mode.

Thank you in advance!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Enable IP Passthrough on the gateway and point it at the MAC address of the R9000. You may have to reboot the gateway before it will take effect.
Message 2 of 6

Thanks, I did that... that gave me the public IP (same as the gateways) and changed the subnet mask, etc... so that all worked great. I even set the DNS servers on the Netgear to google's... but when I did a tracert... it still showed a double NAT... so 10.0.0.1 (netgear) then 192.168.1.254 (gateway).

I'll re-enable to router mode, set it back up... Screenshots below.

Gateway IP Passthrough:

ip-pass.PNG

Router now shows:

router-connection-status.PNG

Tracert shows double NAT:

tracert.PNG

I am assuming that is because the DHCP server on the gateway.... but if I disable DHCP on my gateway... I lose complete connection and have to do a full reset on the gateway to restore everything.

Message 3 of 6

How do I proceed? Or does the double NAT not pose that big of an issue (I've always heard that it does though).

Any and all help greatlyt appreciated!

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Don't worry about the traceroute. As long as the Netgear has a public IP, you have single NAT. Proceed to set up port forwarding or enable UPnP, as desired.
Message 5 of 6

So far I've found the R9000 performs better than the BGW210-700 (at least so far), and I didn't really buy it for ad... as I know it's a long shot that anything will ever use it. I bought it based on reviews (all of the ones I read were glowing, but I could have missed something obviously) and its wealth of other features. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with 2.4 and 5G... so far so good. Speeds are outstanding too. 

I really appreciate your help on all this!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E