Setting up my husband for RDP

emme65
Follower

Setting up my husband for RDP

I have just set up the R8000 router on our home network.

My husband has a RDP setup to connect to his offsite work VPN. Since I installed the new router, he keeps getting bumped off of the offsite network.

His IT person told me this:

Default settings should be fine, as long as it permits outbound tcp/udp on ports 443 and 1194. Few firewalls would block that by default.

Do I need to make any modifications to router settings? Would this be something in port forwarding in the advanced router menu?

Any advice would be appreciated. I have been researching for days and can't quite figure it out.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 4
netwrks
Master

Re: Setting up my husband for RDP

What does his works VPN Server logs say about the disconnects?
Message 2 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There should be no outbound blocks in the R8000, the port forwarding rules apply to incoming data only, so I agree with netwrks, logged data or diagnostic data might be very helpful.
fordem
Mentor

emme65 wrote:
he keeps getting bumped off of the offsite network.

The statement above suggests he is getting at least an initial connection - for no other reason that he has to be connected before he can be "bumped" off.

Once he is getting connected it means the router settings are correct.

The problem you are experiencing is most likely one of dropped connections - if he's using a wireless connection, try a wired one as the first step into pinpointing the problem.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E