Setup of R7000 Email Notificatiopn with Windows 10

StanH
Tutor

Setup of R7000 Email Notificatiopn with Windows 10

I have noticed many posts about difficulties with making email notification work with Readyshare Vault for R7000 and other Netgear routers. Here is a method that sends a test email for me every time. I turned on the Telnet client as instructed here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/38433.windows-10-enabling-telnet-client.... I implemented my Comcast account's SMTP as follows: In Windows 10, [Start] [Run], CMD, “c:\user\...>” “Telnet smtp.comcast.net 587” Then in Netgear Genie, pushed [Send Test Email]. A picture of the Netgear Genie settings is shown below:
Message 1 of 21
antinode
Guru

Re: Setup of R7000 Email Notificatiopn with Windows 10

> [...] I turned on the Telnet client [...]

I'll bite.  What happens if you do _none_ of this Telnet stuff, and
then "in Netgear Genie, [push] [Send Test Email]"?

What, exactly, does all this Telnet stuff do (or, what do you
_believe_ that it does) for you?

Message 2 of 21
StanH
Tutor

antinode, I am not an expert on Telnet. All I know is that it is a historic tool from the beginning of the internet and it performs tasks related to low level network connections. It's nnot needed much anymore because its functions are usually built into modern products. Windows 10 contains it but it has to be installed. I used Telnet to give the command “Telnet smtp.comcast.net 587”. I believe that the command paved the way for the SMTP server receive email from the R7000 and send it out. I think that the current R7000 would be improved if whatever that Telnet command does were to be built into its firmware. I used the SMTP server at my Comcast email account but I had the same failures with two gmail accounts. I did not go back and try the Telenet command with gmail because my problem is solved, I think. But I suspect it would work there too since my router's firmware apparently doesn't have that function built into it. You asked what happens if I just, in Netgear Genie, [push] [Send Test Email]. I had a long discussion of those details on the Windows 10 forum: https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/126174-netgear-r7000-readyshare-vault-email-notification-e...
Message 3 of 21
StanH
Tutor

I don't know why all my paragraphs run together on this forum?
Message 4 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Here is a discussion of the same issue but apparently using different Telnet commands to solve it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Can-t-set-up-smtp-for-eMail-notifications/m-p/1523194

Message 5 of 21
antinode
Guru

> [...] I am not an expert on Telnet. [...]

I agree.  Nor on SMTP.

> [...] I believe that the command paved the way for the SMTP server
> receive email from the R7000 and send it out. [...]

Have you any evidence to support that belief?  If you stand on one
leg and scream like a chicken, and then your e-mail test works, will you
write up that procedure, and recommend it, too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

> [...] I think that the current R7000 would be improved if whatever
> that Telnet command does were to be built into its firmware. [...]

If "that Telnet command" did anything useful, then perhaps that would
be true.  But it doesn't.

Telnet can be used for diagnostic purposes in a variety of
circumstances, including some basic testing of an e-mail server, but it
does not "pave the way" for anything.

General advice: Before publishing a recommendation like this, it can
be helpful to understand what you're doing.

> I don't know why all my paragraphs run together on this forum?

It's a recent "improvement" to the forum software.

Message 6 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Re: Setup of R7000 Email Notification with Windows 10

This is a test of paragraph separation using Firefox with noscript off (disabled).

paragraph 1

paragraph2

Message 7 of 21
StanH
Tutor

This is a test of paragraph separation using Firefox with noscript on (enabled).

paragraph 1

paragraph2

Message 8 of 21
StanH
Tutor

> I don't know why all my paragraphs run together on this forum? It's a recent "improvement" to the forum software. The two posts above this one demonstrate that this forum's software can preserve and display the paragraph structure of my posts with Firefox. But the paragraph structure wasn't preserved yesterday - the whole post ran together. ?

Message 9 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Once again, the format structured was not honored above. Is there a way to edit a post? I have more to say but it is not worth fighting this problem.
Message 10 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Posted with Chrome:

Once again, the format structured was not honored as above with Firefox.

Message 11 of 21
antinode
Guru

> [...] The two posts above this one demonstrate that this forum's
> software can preserve and display the paragraph structure [...]

The non-psychics in your audience may not know exactly how you
compose your posts.  The recent change which annoys me affects
(copy+)paste operations:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/td-p/1667522/page/2#M550

Note that using the "PREVIEW" option in the editor might show you
what you want to see without actually posting a message.  (But it may
not accurately represent what happens when the message appears in the
actual (narrower) forum display.)

Message 12 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@StanH wrote:
I don't know why all my paragraphs run together on this forum?

Check the rich text underlying simple HTML - appears they strip tabs, CRLF or multiple spaces from pure text instead of converting properly - why ever.

@StanH wrote:
Is there a way to edit a post?

The edit time window is set rather short on each post - its a few minutes only - that's ok, otherwise we will find the Spamandscamkiddies editing old posts adding whatever crap randomly.

@StanH wrote:
...I used Telnet to give the command “Telnet smtp.comcast.net 587”. I believe that the command paved the way for the SMTP server receive email from the R7000 and send it out. I think that the current R7000 would be improved if whatever that Telnet command does were to be built into its firmware. ...

Aehm ... you talk of a program (Readyshare Vault) running on your Windows 10 system- It's email notification system does submit emails direct, not to the router. 

Does the R7000 have a problem with the sending of test emails and warnings/logs using the same SMTP configuration, e.g. for the Comcast SMTP?

Message 13 of 21
StanH
Tutor

quote ====================== @StanH wrote: I don't know why all my paragraphs run together on this forum? Check the rich text underlying simple HTML - appears they strip tabs, CRLF or multiple spaces from pure text instead of converting properly - why ever. unquote =================== I'm not sure whether you mean to put the line under rich text or HTML, so this is under HTML. This is after skipping a line (using Firefox and Noscript) Also, How do you use the [Quote] button?
Message 14 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Clicked "RICH TEXT" ==== quote ====================== @StanH wrote: I don't know why all my paragraphs run together on this forum? Check the rich text underlying simple HTML - appears they strip tabs, CRLF or multiple spaces from pure text instead of converting properly - why ever. unquote =================== I'm not sure whether you mean to put the line under rich text or HTML, so this is under Rich Text. This is after skipping a line (using Firefox and Noscript) Also, How do you use the [Quote] button?
Message 15 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Edited with Chrome  (as the "show option menu" button is working in chrome). 

skipped a line:

Again. Neither RICH TEXT or HTML preserved formatting in the last two posts. Also, I wanted to try edit & delete but the "show option menu" button doesn't work in FF. I think it was working with Chrome yesterday so I will try Chrome next.

@StanH wrote:
Clicked "RICH TEXT" ==== quote ====================== @StanH wrote: I don't know why all my paragraphs run together on this forum? Check the rich text underlying simple HTML - appears they strip tabs, CRLF or multiple spaces from pure text instead of converting properly - why ever. unquote =================== I'm not sure whether you mean to put the line under rich text or HTML, so this is under Rich Text. This is after skipping a line (using Firefox and Noscript) Also, How do you use the [Quote] button?

x

Can't get out of quote.

CR doesn't do it.

Message 16 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Posted with Chrome, RICH TEXT:

Analyzing the above post, formatting (LF-CR)  was preserved with Chrome & RICH TEST.

The [quote ] button worked properly and copied the (bad) contents of the clipboard where the cursor was (I think) at the bottom, but I couldn't get out of quote (indentation) mode.. 

The "show option menu" worked properly.

Message 17 of 21
StanH
Tutor

Posted with Firefox, RICH TEXT -- This is the same post as previous, but with Firefox and with Noscript [disabled]:

Analyzing the above post, formatting (LF-CR)  was preserved with Chrome & RICH TEST.

The [quote ] button worked properly and copied the (bad) contents of the clipboard where the cursor was (I think) at the bottom, but I couldn't get out of quote (indentation) mode.. 

EDIT:: The "show option menu" also works properly.

EDIT::

@StanH wrote:

Posted with Chrome, RICH TEXT:

I don't know what [quote] did here because the above quote is not what was on the clipboard. Would somebody please explain this?

Message 18 of 21
schumaku
Guru

Stop using security plugin garbage probably destroying workable standard SaaS features like the editor here - pretty much convinced the post dot menu is available as well as the rich text editor would work as expected - also on Firefox.
Message 19 of 21
StanH
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:
Stop using security plugin garbage probably destroying workable standard SaaS features like the editor here - pretty much convinced the post dot menu is available as well as the rich text editor would work as expected - also on Firefox.

Correct. This Firefox's Noscript is off at this moment and this forum is working with FF.

There are other reasons for using Nosctipt though. I will [Disable] Noscript for this sight.

Message 20 of 21
StanH
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

@StanH wrote:
...I used Telnet to give the command “Telnet smtp.comcast.net 587”. I believe that the command paved the way for the SMTP server receive email from the R7000 and send it out. I think that the current R7000 would be improved if whatever that Telnet command does were to be built into its firmware. ...

Aehm ... you talk of a program (Readyshare Vault) running on your Windows 10 system- It's email notification system does submit emails direct, not to the router. 

Does the R7000 have a problem with the sending of test emails and warnings/logs using the same SMTP configuration, e.g. for the Comcast SMTP?

I only had to run the Telnet script once. Now the email test in Genie works with Comecast every time. The reason for that was suggested by the German's thread that I referred to above. My hypothesis is that it works like a registration of my R7000 -- but what do I know?

Also just because the test works every time does not confirm that the automatic notification email will work. (The test might not take the same path as the automatic, and we won't know if the automatic trigger will fire until I see the result.) I will have to post back about that.

The source of the truth is not in the theory but in the empirical evidence. I cannot provide any more evidence (at least with my Comcast account and my configuration) because I have already used my one chance -- I can't fix something that is working.

It is up to someone else to try to repeat it. Was my experience a one-off like antinode's chicken example? We will never know until someone else trys to repeat it. I don't expect that it has to be a R7000. In the german thread it was a different Netgear router and a different SMTP server.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements