Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Several Questions..

Whoisd3v
Aspirant

Several Questions..

Basically I have this issue where my signal for gaming is weak because our family modem is a floor below me. So I've been looking into finding anything that'll make that signal stronger: i.e. an extender, repeater, etc. I recently bought a Nighthawk 6700 but returned it being that it wasn't capable of being bridged or used as an extender. I needed something I could use in either mode so that I could have the wifi booster upstairs in my room, closer to my ps4 to maximize the strength. My first question is; Knowing this info, do you guys think I'd be better off getting a repeater? Or a router capable of bridge mode?

I got my R6900P today, since it was capable of bridging. I set it all up, in bridge mode and all, but it still didn't work with my PS4. I looked onto the wifi list and the SSID of the router wasn't even there, even after plugging it back into the modem via ethernet. When it's in bridge mode, is that supposed to happen? Does bridging the connection basically infuse the router into the modem's internet connection? If so, do I connect to the modem's wifi connection instead?

I'm not the biggest tech head on earth, but I know a little bit about these things, I just need answers since I can't seem to find any clear cut answer anywhere else. I need to knwow what I'm doing wrong
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Whoisd3v
Aspirant

That’s exactly what it was, @schumaku. I had my ethernet plugged into the LAN the entire time. Plugged it into one of the ethernet ports and viola! Worked like a charm. Thanks for that, now I know for sure how bridge mode works in the future.

Speaking of future, I’ll be moving pretty soon. I’ll probably be switching ISPs, which would probably require that I’ll need to edit my bridge settings towards a newer router. How would I go about taking it out of bridge mode if that’s the case?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Whoisd3v wrote:

My first question is; Knowing this info, do you guys think I'd be better off getting a repeater? Or a router capable of bridge mode?

There is nothing better than a network cable (or a fiber) - worth every effort to install an Ethernet cable connection and configure whatever device (consumer routers make poor wireless access points however) as a wireless access point once wired. Wireless technology does not - never - replace a cable. Even if the Mobile Internet 5G industry does try to convince us.

@Whoisd3v wrote:

I got my R6900P today, since it was capable of bridging. I set it all up, in bridge mode and all, but it still didn't work with my PS4. I looked onto the wifi list and the SSID of the router wasn't even there, even after plugging it back into the modem via ethernet. When it's in bridge mode, is that supposed to happen?

Not sure you got it right: A wireless bridge does establish a wireless connection from the R6900P to your existing wireless just like a mobile phone or tablet would do from the upper floor. The connection to the R6900P in bridge mode must go to the LAN port(s). It's not a wireless extender of any kind, it does not serve as a wierless AP at the same time handling the bridge.

Message 2 of 6
Whoisd3v
Aspirant

That’s exactly what it was, @schumaku. I had my ethernet plugged into the LAN the entire time. Plugged it into one of the ethernet ports and viola! Worked like a charm. Thanks for that, now I know for sure how bridge mode works in the future.

Speaking of future, I’ll be moving pretty soon. I’ll probably be switching ISPs, which would probably require that I’ll need to edit my bridge settings towards a newer router. How would I go about taking it out of bridge mode if that’s the case?
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Probably the most easy way is to do a factory reset, and re-configure your R6900P from scratch into the mode desired (router, wireless bridge, or wireless access point [wired]).

Message 4 of 6
myersw
Master

Isn't Netgear firmware wonderful? 

Should not require setting after an update, IMHO. 

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@myersw wrote:

Isn't Netgear firmware wonderful? 

Should not require setting after an update, IMHO. 

No, with all due respect, before ranting think about the fact how a router configured to a wireless bridge does operate. It will try to fetch an IP config by DHCP on the wireless bridge interface, if there is nothing, it will fall back to the some default LAN IP. Of course you can explain the uses on how to temporary configure an Ethernet interface to the same subnet as the default LAN IP, and then access using that default LAN IP. In this time, you can factory reset 10 routers, and reconfigure to whatever mode you want from scratch.

Go and manage your beloved UniFi without the crappy stick or a VM - on moving one or some devices to another location - how would you do that? Here again, tghe easies way is a factory reset, so the new on-site controller can discover and pick up. And pray that all the firmware is current, otherwise good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7