Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I Upgrade To Nighthawk X10?

Unfiltered1
Tutor

Should I Upgrade To Nighthawk X10?

I have two computers currently connected to a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, one wireless and one wired.  I don't network the two computers or transfer files, etc., between them.  At the moment I don't stream anything such as music or movies.  I do play a few games such as Assassin's Creed series and Obduction that will access the internet.  I'm currently connected to the internet via a Fiber Optic net and local ISP so I have pretty fast internet access.  I'm curious as to whether or not upgrading to the X10 will have any effect on my internet surfing and file downloading.  I'll readily admit to being a gadgetholic and like to build my own machines with top shelf gear simply because I enjoy doing it but the price of admission to the X10 is giving me cause to pause to decide if the upgrade will be a noticeable improvement.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Should I Upgrade To Nighthawk X10?

Save your money.  The R7000 is still a reliable workhorse and should be more than capable of handling two devices.  The X10 is a halo product that you will likely be unable to take advantage of.  There are virtually no quad-stream and no 802.11ad Wi-Fi clients out there, so all that fancy, expensive Wi-Fi hardware is gonna be wasted.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Save your money.  The R7000 is still a reliable workhorse and should be more than capable of handling two devices.  The X10 is a halo product that you will likely be unable to take advantage of.  There are virtually no quad-stream and no 802.11ad Wi-Fi clients out there, so all that fancy, expensive Wi-Fi hardware is gonna be wasted.

Message 2 of 6
microchip8
Master

In your current setup, you won't notice a difference. As TheEther said, save your money for now. If you at some point get stuff that can take advantage of the R9000, only then consider and at that time price may have dropped as well

Message 3 of 6
Unfiltered1
Tutor

Thanks Microchip and Ether.  I suspected there would not be a noticeable improvement and you have confirmed it.  As with most enthusiasists I'm always on the lookout for any tweeks large or small that will speed things up or make the machines run a little better.  I do like the Netgear routers and when the time comes I'll likely go with them yet again.

Message 4 of 6
Adewale
Luminary

Truth of the matter is, with just two computers and crazy fast internet connection as you currently have, any N or AC routers on the market will deliver the level of performance your current use case demands. if you downgrade to a lower spec'd N or AC router, you still wont notice any degradation to your network speed

Message 5 of 6
Adewale
Luminary

Truth of the matter is, with just two computers and crazy fast internet connection as you currently have, any N or AC routers on the market will deliver the level of performance your current use case demands. if you downgrade to a lower spec'd N or AC router, you still wont notice any degradation to your network speed

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7