Signal Strengths

jeffreywilens
Initiate

Signal Strengths

I saw a post from Seeray about signal strength so I'm going to post my data to see how it compares to what I should be getting. I have done nothing special to the R7000 except download the latest firmware and I did the tests late at night when there was little activity in the neighborhood.

I used both InSSIDer and another app called Wi-Fi Analyzer that does pretty much the same thing. Both apps produced similar results.

Sitting at my desk about 10 feet from the router which is equal height and all antennas property deployed and set up.

I observed 2.4 Ghz fluctuating in a ranger of -32 to -41 over a minute. But 5 Ghz was actually a little worse at -35 to -45.

Channel 1 and 11 seem to be best channels and I tried both channels and got similar results.

Also, I ran speedtest from the same distance, and even with these readings I am getting 15-24 ms ping, 16 to 16.7 Mbps down and 2-2 to 2.8 Mbps upload using speedtest five times on my phone using wifi. Using my computer with wired connection I am getting the same scores and this is what I would expect from my cable model 15 Mbps plan. So there does not appear to be any loss of bandwidth by using wifi.

I also note while there are a number of wifi signals from other routers (neighbors) they are not close, at least 30db away even if on same channel or overlapping.

Finally, while I was finishing up, I suddenly saw the signal drop to 54 db twice over a couple minutes and then return almost immediately to the 30s. Strange maybe I should a longer test.
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Signal Strengths

The signal drop is normal from what I have seen and at times may drop off completely. When testing you should be disconnected from your router. Also each of the wifi tools could use resources that could impact your speed test, INSSIDER v4 does along with 3. Best to reboot after closing program. My test were done using a Intel AC 7260, and my 5g at times were off the charts (above -17) I saw a 9db improvement over my R6300v2 on 5g.

The lower 2 digit 5g channels must use slightly less output due to FCC regulations their level is 3 to 6 db lower on every router I tested.
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Also other best way to diagnose by using heat map through the area to see where is the spot you are getting the worry instead of db but that is little bit more money to do it ....

http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy/?utm_expid=190328-71.YSUNPv8PRF6FGW3eZMGVEg.0&utm_referrer=h...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
jeffreywilens
Initiate

Meaning if I am using the app on my smartphone, it should not be using the Wifi? Tried that for a minute or two and got pretty much same scores.
Message 4 of 5
dave1977nj
Apprentice

jmizoguchi wrote:
Also other best way to diagnose by using heat map through the area to see where is the spot you are getting the worry instead of db but that is little bit more money to do it ....

http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy/?utm_expid=190328-71.YSUNPv8PRF6FGW3eZMGVEg.0&utm_referrer=h...

yeah just $849.99 thats way too much to spend.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements