Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Since Firmware Update on R7000 1.0.9.64 Weekly Disconnection

BillS68
Star

Since Firmware Update on R7000 1.0.9.64 Weekly Disconnection

Hi All

Ever since doing the firmware update to 1.0.9.64 my router is disconnecting itself from the Internet weekly and I have to switch it off and back on again to get it working. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there another workaround as opposed to switching off and back on?

Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Since Firmware Update on R7000 1.0.9.64 Weekly Disconnection

@BillS68 wrote:

Hi All

Ever since doing the firmware update to 1.0.9.64 my router is disconnecting itself from the Internet weekly and I have to switch it off and back on again to get it working. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there another workaround as opposed to switching off and back on?

Thanks

If doing a hard reset doesn't correct the problem. @TheEther did a nice write up here of how to downgrade the R7000 to an earlier version if you decide to go that route. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-to-Downgrade-Firmware-on-Nighthawk-R7000...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
myersw
Master

Welcome to the wonderful world of Netgear firmware. Firmware seems to be, IMHO, beta being pushed to the end user. Lots of issues, like yours.

Would suggest you reinstall the version that was working for you and if still issues, do a reset and then a new configuration. 

Message 2 of 10
antinode
Guru

> Has anyone else had this problem [...]?

What did your Web or forum search find for terms like, say:

R7000 1.0.9.64 [or "V1.0.9.64" or "V1.0.9.64_10.2.64"]

?

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@BillS68 wrote:

Hi All

Thanks

If doing a hard reset doesn't correct the problem. @TheEther did a nice write up here of how to downgrade the R7000 to an earlier version if you decide to go that route. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-to-Downgrade-Firmware-on-Nighthawk-R7000...

Message 4 of 10
BillS68
Star

Yeah, it does seem that way!

Message 5 of 10
BillS68
Star

Thanks for that I will have a look this evening. I wasn't wanting to downgrade as the current version had some security fixes in it but I guess I may have to.

Nive to see Netgear fully test the upgrades!

Message 6 of 10
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello,

Downgrade back to i.e. 1.0.9.42. I did that for my R7000 APs.

BTW: DOWNGRADING from 1.0.9.60 or 1.0.9.64 causes your R7000 AP-mode to be reset to Router-mode. That causes issues of course.

You NEED to do a hard reset to clear to config and reconfigured or reload a previous old config.

This issue has been reported and I can confirm this is the case for both my R7k's running in AP mode.

Bas. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 10
Bill-D
Apprentice

We have two homes that we go between so one is always unattended.  The R7000 at each home has been solid for 3+ years with auto firmware update enabled so they were both on 1.0.9.64.

Recently both started to have spontaneous problems which seem to be a failure of their DHCP servers and both required several manual reboots (a big headache at unattended sites).  Going back to 1.0.9.42 on both has seemed to stop this problem.

Looks like I'll now keep auto firmware update disabled and wait for user reports of a solid working version on this forum.  It's unfortunate to see Netgear drop the ball on what seems to be basic testing before releasing firmware updates.

Message 8 of 10
BBurgDave
Apprentice

I had the same issue; although, in my case, it mainly seemed to affect the internet connection on the 5 ghz band (not 2.4). I "fixed" this, as the "solved" solution suggests, by rolling back the firmware to the prior version (1.0.9.60) which did not have this problem.  My conclusion was that version 1.0.9.64 has issues and I am waiting for the next version to upgrade (or not, if I continue to see that problem).

Message 9 of 10
Bill-D
Apprentice

I'm suprised this major bug in 1.0.9.64 hasn't been fixed yet with a new FW update.  Prior to this my two R7000s have served me well.

C'mon Netgear, get on it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7