Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Since the last firmware update, I am having all kinds of issues with my NightHawk AC1750

JohnnyWB
Tutor

Since the last firmware update, I am having all kinds of issues with my NightHawk AC1750

I am beginning to wonder what in the round world is going on with this thing.  Last update brought a whole ton of problems with it: Can't stay connected to the internet as it drops the ocnnection.  Blocked me out of my own connection.  Blocks and unblocks allowed users when it apparently feels like it.  Suddenly creates it's own overload, causing lag and ping spikes well over 10K.  Allows users to attach to my wifi network without a password, when I have it secured with one.  This thing is about to cause me to pull my hair out and I am already bald enough.

Any ideas out there as to what is going on?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
alien433
Guide

Re: Since the last firmware update, I am having all kinds of issues with my NightHawk AC1750

Factory reset is only needed when you are having problems. I always backup my configuration file first. Then test if there is a problem when not reload the configuration agian. I Reset is neede when you downgrade from higher firmware with new options. Please make a support ticket it can be a bug.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Perform a factory reset. It's strongly recommended after every firmware update.

Message 2 of 12
alien433
Guide

Factory reset is only needed when you are having problems. I always backup my configuration file first. Then test if there is a problem when not reload the configuration agian. I Reset is neede when you downgrade from higher firmware with new options. Please make a support ticket it can be a bug.

Message 3 of 12
JohnnyWB
Tutor

I am kind of dumb here, with technology so please bear with me.  What is the reasoning behind doin a factory reset?  Doesn't that reset everything back to pre-update and cause you to have to re-update?  Not sure I follow the logic unless there is something about these units that require you to do that.

Message 4 of 12
JohnnyWB
Tutor

Allen, before I do that, I would like to find out the reasoning behind ellen's adivce.  Not sure if there is a hidden gem/kernel there none of us are aware of or what.  Admitedly I am a huge noob with electronics, even after all this time since the "Trash 80 Days" of Tandy home computing.

Message 5 of 12
TheEther
Guru

The reason a factory reset is recommended after updating firmware is that the old configuration settings could be incompatible. This can be true for updates to newer as well as older firmware versions.

A reset will erase the configuration. The currently installed firmware will remain intact.

Do not restore the configuration from a backup file. The file could be incompatible. Instead, manually reconfigure each setting using either the desktop Genie or the web interface on the router.
Message 6 of 12
alien433
Guide

Reset is not needed, i'm Syste technical for more than 20 years. Please contact support

Message 7 of 12
JohnnyWB
Tutor

I am going to put in a tech support ticket and see what they can come up with.  Thanks to the both of you.  I appreciate it.

Message 8 of 12
netwrks
Master

Anyone who does not reset to factory default on these router after a firmware upgrade is asking for problems. Rule of thumb. Upgrade firmware. Then reset to fsctory default. Reconfig from scratch Always..

Message 9 of 12
alien433
Guide

Its the best thing to contact support. Everythime reset after firmware update is not needed. I had several routers and not needed to do a reset.
Message 10 of 12
TheEther
Guru

I've worked in the networking industry for more than 20 years, doing software development for much of it. I've seen my fair share of backwards compatibility configuration bugs.

Think of a reset as preventative medicine. It can avoid mysterious ailments. Best of all, this medicine is free.

I can almost guarantee you that support will ask you to reset your router, so you may as well save yourself the trouble of having them tell you.

Message 11 of 12
JohnnyWB
Tutor

10-4 and thanks to all of you.  I will first do a reset, should that not cure the issue, I will then put ina ticket for support help.  If nothing else helps, I will simply return the defective unit to the place of purchase.  I up graded from an N600 to this AC1750 for the technology and speed upgrade but so far this 1750 has been a big disappointment for me.  While my 600 was as slow as Methuselah, it was very dependable and not full of problems.

Again, thanks all, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7