DonjoLee
Aspirant

Single DNS Address Issue

I am trying to use as Raspberry Pi running PiHole as my DNS. Per PiHole's instructions, I am placing only the PiHole as the DNS available with 2 more as upstream DNS within the PiHole console per the instructions. However the issue is when selecting only a single DNS for the router, I lose all internet across the network. I have to place at least one backup (secondary) in the router settings to get connection to the internet.

Is there anyway to get internet while using the correct instructions for PiHole with this router?
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7
labatt
Prodigy

Re: Single DNS Address Issue

Last I knew you could not point at a DNS server that is on same network as the Netgear router. Reason DNS is not working pointing at Pi-Hole on same network. I am doing this successfully using Pi-Hole for DNS, but my router is not a Netgear. Gave up on them for several reasons.

Modem CM2050V
Message 2 of 7
CinciRouter
Tutor

You are seeing a bug that was introduced in V1.0.2.62 of the R7800 firmware.  The only solution used to be to downgrade to .60, but I have installed .68 and can confirm that the latest firmware fixes the problem and you can again point your router at a pihole that has an internal IP address.

Message 3 of 7
labatt
Prodigy

@CinciRouter wrote:

You are seeing a bug that was introduced in V1.0.2.62 of the R7800 firmware.  The only solution used to be to downgrade to .60, but I have installed .68 and can confirm that the latest firmware fixes the problem and you can again point your router at a pihole that has an internal IP address.

Wow you mean that Netgear actually fixed a bug? Will wonders never cease? Firmware issues is why I no longer use a Netgear router. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 4 of 7
CinciRouter
Tutor

Yeah, Netgear isn't exactly speedy about fixing bugs.  It took them almost a year to fix this bug.  The problem is that I've had routers by other manufacturers and always end up leaving them for another because of one reason or another.  If I had been attempting to use pihole a year ago, instead of just recently, I too would be using a non-Netgear router right now.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 5 of 7
DonjoLee
Aspirant

Good to know. I'll try it again soon. Thank you.

Message 6 of 7
DonjoLee
Aspirant

@CinciRouter 

@CinciRouter wrote:

I know this has been awhile, but I am currently running on the 1.0.2.68 version. I still have this issue and cannot point my router to a single DNS location. Any other suggestions?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements