Slow 2.4ghz Internet Connection

ChadCK
Novice

Slow 2.4ghz Internet Connection

So I have 4 Cameras on the 2.4ghz network, streaming to a wired desktop. While these 4 are on, the 2.4ghz network from a laptop also on that network performs horrible. Can't get move then 2-4mbps download, i can switch to the 5ghz network and blaze at the 34mbps without issues. My concern is why is it so bad on the 2.4ghz, it shouldn't have these issues.

I just replaced a Cisco 4200 (Linksys) router in the exact same setup, and it did not have this issue at all. The 2.4ghz network stays strong and able to handle the bandwidth.

Is this a failure of QoS? I've tried multiple things from disabling the little QoS there is not, tried disabling the 20/40 Coexistence, tried multiple different channels besides leaving it at Auto. Nothing makes a difference. EVEN if i disable all 2.4ghz devices, i still can only hit a 15-17mbps on the 2.4ghz when it should be getting alot higher speeds. Even pinging the router on the 2.4ghz is horrible, sitting right next to the router fluxating 4-10ms to higher spikes, this is without the other activity.

Again this is just on that network, the 5ghz and wired connections are super fast, hitting and sustaining max but this problem on the 2.4ghz is getting me close to returning it and trying another brand :/ As i've had no such issue on a much older router.
Message 1 of 4
kecurl
Aspirant

Re: Slow 2.4ghz Internet Connection

In my opinion its a failure of the cameras. I got this router for the reason that everything I've read about the wifi security cam system I bought says they suck the life out of 2.4 and their only suggestion is to move your other devices to 5G...which is still pretty much impossible or not practical/cost effective. I am returning mine in the morning and going for something that gives me the fastest 2.4 which should be less than half the cost of this router. Oh, and even without the camera's installed i was getting dog**** slow speeds on the 2.4 band, even after 4 hours with Netgear support trying to help. I'm starting to agree that this thing was rushed to the market and is still too unstable for production.
Message 2 of 4
Wandersk
Initiate

Any solution to this? I am having the same issue. My first R8000 lost one of its 5ghz bands (basically nothing would connect to it). Now my second one is having the slow 2.4ghz issue. Really starting to irritate me and I about to return this for a second time.

Want to see if anyone found a solution since buying a $275 piece of equipment shouldnt come with this many problems.
Message 3 of 4
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please create a ticket for support team.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements