Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Ethernet speeds (R6700)

Phillip24
Tutor

Slow Ethernet speeds (R6700)

I can't seem to get my speeds out of my router to get above 200 mbps. I'm currently paying my provider (Spectrum) for 400 mbps. Their router to my PC via ethernet and it hit 430 mbps so It dwindels down to my router limiting the speed. Anybody have an idea on what is causing my router to not handle the speeds being thrown at it? I bought it last February so it's still farily new. Updated to firmware V1.0.4.84_10.0.58 today. I like this router but if I have to go back to Asus, I guess I will.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow Ethernet speeds (R6700)

1. What modem are you using?

2. You put that if you hook a switch to the modem, you pull full speeds. Why do you need a switch?  Make sure you're going modem----router---switch.

3. I would try the factory reset and if that doesn't work, i'd try the downgrade.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@Phillip24 wrote:

I can't seem to get my speeds out of my router to get above 200 mbps. I'm currently paying my provider (Spectrum) for 400 mbps. Their router to my PC via ethernet and it hit 430 mbps so It dwindels down to my router limiting the speed. Anybody have an idea on what is causing my router to not handle the speeds being thrown at it? I bought it last February so it's still farily new. Updated to firmware V1.0.4.84_10.0.58 today. I like this router but if I have to go back to Asus, I guess I will.

What is this "their router"? 

Are you running 2x routers? If so, you'd be in a double nat which can cause issues as well as it can be "their router" limiting speeds if there's any type of qos/monitoring going on. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

After you updated firmware, did you try a factory reset? I know the R6700 rolled out support for netgear armor. Its caused some issues with multiple routers. Sometimes its resolved by a factory reset after the update and other times its taken a rollback to the firmware prior to Armor. 

if you try the firmware rollback, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to reset afterwards. 

Message 2 of 9
Phillip24
Tutor

What I mean by "their router" was Spectrum came to inspect my speeds and used their own router for the ethernet plug and the test showed the correct speed. I only have the one router. Their test confirmed my router is the culprit of the slower speeds. There is no QOS monitoring going on ( if ound on here that may have been the issue) and the I have ignored setting up the Armor setup each time it's asked to set up.

I used an old 5 port gigabit switch last night directly from the modem and my speed went up to 480 mbps which is over my contract amount. I can try and do a factory reset but it will have to wait until the end of the work day for now.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

1. What modem are you using?

2. You put that if you hook a switch to the modem, you pull full speeds. Why do you need a switch?  Make sure you're going modem----router---switch.

3. I would try the factory reset and if that doesn't work, i'd try the downgrade.

Message 4 of 9
Phillip24
Tutor

My modem is the E31U2V1 provided by Spectrum. I was previously using a Motorola SBG6580. My modem only has one ethernet plug on it. The reason I put the switch to the modem is then I have 4 available ethernet plugs that bypass the router. It was only to test anyways. I had an old switch so I'd thought I would try it out. I don't use the switch currently anymore. I thought I could use it as maybe a temp work-around while I continue my research.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

I would try downgrading the firmware to the version before armor. Even if you didn't set it up, the firmware still installs it but just doesn't use it. It can create issues. I'd downgrade the firmware and then factory reset the device. Disable firmware updates if it fixes the problem. You can monitor when they update to see if it causes issues. 

Let me know if it works. 

Message 6 of 9
Phillip24
Tutor

Will do. I can try it later after business hours.

Thanks for your help. 

Message 7 of 9
JosRVan
Initiate

Yeah I just got mine and it was slow just downgrade the firmware and it works this is ridiculous though this thing was almost 300 dollars and they can't even get their firmaware working right after a year or so ... Im definitely done with Netgear after my router becomes outdated its ridiculous we have to do this and I hate how they outsource their IT help....lol whats the point of paying when I found the answer to the problem in less time than the 4 hours I spent on the phone with 3 different reps, not to mention the one rep knew absolutely nothing she tried blaming my cable when I told her that the same cable ran 400+ on older routers +my modem, unbelievable
Message 8 of 9
NetSpider
Initiate

After testing preety much every firmware for the R6700v3 , i found the version 1.0.2.52 fastest for WAN to LAN .

Here is the speedtest

so now i'm happy with this results .

R6400v2 / R6700v3 Firmware Version 1.0.2.52 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7