Slow LAN on R9000

mpparent
Aspirant

Slow LAN on R9000

Folks,

Are you seeing volatile download speeds on your r9000? I will get 50 Mbps at times...then I'll restart my computer and get over 500 Mbps. My upload speeds seem to be ok, at around 600-700 Mbps. Any ideas? The other odd thing is that my TV subscription is via an internet connection delivered through my router. The video freezes (which I've determined to be a slow LAN connection) from time to time. Weird...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Re: Slow LAN on R9000

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
mpparent
Aspirant

The firmware version is the latest - V1.0.4.34. Also, upstream of my router is my ISPs gateway which brings in fiber and has an ethernet output. Speedtest on the modem, at the head end, gives upwards of 900Mbs consistently.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

@mpparent wrote:

The firmware version is the latest - V1.0.4.34. Also, upstream of my router is my ISPs gateway which brings in fiber and has an ethernet output. Speedtest on the modem, at the head end, gives upwards of 900Mbs consistently.

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router SXK30(v.122) and R8500(v.158) Router Mode and Wired Backhaul | Switches NG GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 4 of 11

@mpparent wrote:

Also, upstream of my router is my ISPs gateway which brings in fiber and has an ethernet output.

The "gateway" word can apply to various devices, depending on what the supplier wants to call it.

A gateway can be a modem/router with a phone socket, or just a modem with a phone socket. The former can require the sort of trick that @FURRYe38 describes.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 11
Clevenger87
Aspirant

And here i thought i was the only person with this issue. I have 1Gbps internet with comcast. and after the vers. 1.0.4.34 update i can NOT get 1Gbps at all. i top at 450 if i am lucky, most the time it's around 50Mbps. i shut off the WiFi and pluggonly one PC into the router same resault. I have updated pc drivers, reset pc drivers. tried 7 differant PC one at a time.   the speed test in the router does get 930-960 every single time that is run, but i can not get that on anything after the X10. what is funny is I can get faster speeds on my cell phone on the 5G WiFi then i can my hardwired PCs.   i can get 700+ on my phone speed test. it seams to be something with the physical ports, but it's every single one of them.  WiFi is fine, but not ideal.   can i downgrade my firmware until they fix this bug???

Message 6 of 11
Clevenger87
Aspirant

I should add that my Comcast Modem is ONLY a modem. not a gateway. so that is not the issue, plus the router it's self can test the full 1Gbps

Message 7 of 11
Clevenger87
Aspirant

sorry for the multiple replies, but i just noticed antoher issue.... the router shows ZERO devices connected.... that has never done that before. 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/vVNtjjU.jpg[/img]

here is the speed test in the router

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3YeDpxL.jpg[/img]

Message 8 of 11
Blown284
Aspirant

I have the same exact issue and I might be nuts but I think it started after upgrading to the latest 1.0.4.34 firmware.    I like this router but have been considering throwing it in the trash and moving to the Google Wifi mesh setup.

Message 9 of 11
Clevenger87
Aspirant

the odd thing is that if i use linux it works fine, and i can get my full 1gig speed.  i down gradded the firmware of my router back 4 versions and it made no differance.   i have concluded the new windows 1903 update is the cause for all these issues. becuase 4 of my computers have this issue that have the 1903 update, one windwos 7 pc works perfect with full speeds, and my two on linux work just fine, only issue is on the main gaming computers running the latest windows 1903 update.

Message 10 of 11
myersw
Master

@Blown284 wrote:

I have the same exact issue and I might be nuts but I think it started after upgrading to the latest 1.0.4.34 firmware.    I like this router but have been considering throwing it in the trash and moving to the Google Wifi mesh setup.

If you are looking at mesh, I have a friend that loves his Eero mesh setup. Of course there is Netgear Orbi, but now Netgear again. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E