Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow WiFi Speed on Nighthawk R8000

sblomeke
Follower

Slow WiFi Speed on Nighthawk R8000

Hello, i have Comcast Blast Internet 150MB. My setup is a Netgear N600 Modem/Router with wifi disabled and my Nighthawk R8000 plugged into that. My direct connect wired connection to the N600 gets 180 down, wireless on the Nighthawk is 23-25 down. I have changed channels and used multiple devices (computer, ipad, galaxy, iphone, and xbox) and get the same results. 

Any suggestions to get the speeds I know this router is capable of?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ddeckerx
Aspirant

It turns out the problem was attributable to Comcast. They symptoms made it appear that it was the router, but Comcast determined it was their exterior lines and they put a filter on the line coming into my building and that took care of it. Now I'm getting 180mbps through the both the Nighthawk router and the Xfinity gateway! Thanks. 

View solution in original post

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 11 of 12

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi sblomeke,

If you wired a computer to the R8000, what is the speed?

Message 2 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi sblomeke,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 12
daharris
Aspirant

I also have the same problem. Wifi downloads up to 30 mb/s when my ISP speed is 200 mb/s. I'm using a cat5e cable to connect the router to the modem. Plugging directly to the router gives me full speed.

Message 4 of 12
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

i am having this exact issue on my R7900. it seems to be an ongoing problem that has no tbeen addressed by netgear. all they ask is if i have reset router to factory settings/ updated to latest firmware. Yet, neither of these fix the problem. i have the router at stock settings and my speeds on wifi also drop to 30mbs. i have a 100mb connection and when i reset the router the speeds are fine! then a few hours later they drop... has to be some sort of firmware problem since many different netgear routers are experiencing same issue. 

NOTE: ( i even replaced the router with another of the same model and still the problem persists.) 

Message 5 of 12
daharris
Aspirant

I finally found a fix. Installed DD-WRT and download speeds back up to 240 mb/s!! DD-WRT can be found here: https://www.myopenrouter.com/downloads/dd-wrt-r8000

Message 6 of 12
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

what is this? and what can i do with it?

Message 7 of 12
ddeckerx
Aspirant

Having the same problem. Devices plugged directly into my Comcast modem get 150 mbps downloads, but devices plugged into my Nighthawk R8000 can do 50 mbps max. Since the R8000 is capable of higher speeds, I'm assuming there must be some conflict between the settings on the Comcast model and the R8000? I've disabled bridge mode on the Comcast modem. Thanks.

Message 8 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi ddeckerx,

Can you post the statistics of the router.

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

What is the firmware of the router?

Message 9 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi ddeckerx,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 10 of 12
ddeckerx
Aspirant

It turns out the problem was attributable to Comcast. They symptoms made it appear that it was the router, but Comcast determined it was their exterior lines and they put a filter on the line coming into my building and that took care of it. Now I'm getting 180mbps through the both the Nighthawk router and the Xfinity gateway! Thanks. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 11 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi ddeckerx,

Glad to know it is working now.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation