Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow WiFi troubleshooting

KPatel
Aspirant

Slow WiFi troubleshooting

I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot my slow WiFi speeds. When I directly connect to my router via ethernet, I get 700mbps that I'm supposed to get by my ISP. My wifi adapter on windows shows a linkspeed of 1300mbps but whenever I do speedtests, I cap out at 200mbps even if I'm right next to the router. All the firmware on my system is up to date and I'm connecting to the 5g network.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Message 1 of 9
KPatel
Aspirant

Re: Slow WiFi troubleshooting

Even when I use the QoS speedtest through the router, the speeds are 2x-3x higher than what I get when I'm using my PC adapter.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be helpful to know what NG product and model # you are referring too...

Message 3 of 9
KPatel
Aspirant

Yes, you're right. My apologies.

My router:  Nighthawk X10 – AD7200 (R9000)

I also get a new wifi adapter thinking that would solve the issue (Nighthawk AC1900, A7000)

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

Try factory resetting. 

During the install, make sure to leave qos, access control, parental controls, and traffic monitoring all disabled. 

Message 5 of 9
wcalifas
Prodigy

You'll never get the same speeds over wifi no matter what router you have, Only wired will give you what you pay for, just and FYI.

Message 6 of 9

@KPatel wrote:

My wifi adapter on windows shows a linkspeed of 1300mbps but whenever I do speedtests, I cap out at 200mbps even if I'm right next to the router.

That is as fast as some wifi clients will deliver. It is even faster than many are capable of.

Does the same wifi client give much higher speeds with different wifi sources?

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 7 of 9
KPatel
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help! I did a factory reset of the router but it didn't make much of a difference.

I know that the wifi speeds would be slower than the router speeds but I've had faster speeds on my wifi in the past. I've used other devices and had the same speed. My neighbors speedtest gets up to 300-350mbps at his house (he has the same ISP and plan as me) but only caps out at 200 whenever he comes over. 

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input and help, I really appreciate it!

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

How far from the router are you?

Did you try other devices? 

What firmware version is on the router? 

do you have IPv6 enabled? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7