Slow Wifi speed R8000

jerbla
Apprentice

Slow Wifi speed R8000

I have swithced ISP and now have 100mb service, I am running my modem in Modem mode and have 100mb hard wired and did have 100mb through WiFi , but now am only getting 50mb though my iPhone which was getting 100mb before. My lap top is hitting 100mb.

I have run a reset and swithed on and off the QOS setting, and manually given the Bandwicth parameters in hope it will improve things.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: Slow Wifi speed R8000

Did anything change when you started getting 50Mbps instead of 100Mbps on your iPhone?  Changed firmware?  Added other devices like wireless speakers or phone? 

Do you live with other households close by so that they may have changed something and that is affecting you?

QOS being turned on is BAD news when you have a connection as fast as yours.  Did you power cycle the router after turning off QOS?

When you did the reset did you push in the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds until the power light turned orange and started to blink?

Are you running with the default configuration that you get after you reset?  (Except that you should change the admin password.)

Message 2 of 8
jerbla
Apprentice

have now turned QoS off and recycled the router.

No changes I am aware of. even this morning speed down from 100 to less than 50 again, firmware is uptodate V1.0.3.32_1.1.21 i beleive.

cant understand when  no changes the parameters change themselves?

Message 3 of 8
jerbla
Apprentice

after that still only 50mb, this is really frustrating I must say, spending too much of my working day trying to figure out the illogical behaviuor of this router. so much for being worth the extra I paid for it.

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've been having a similar issue and I have no idea what's the cause of it.

I have an R8000 and I have always been able to get full speed wired/wireless on all my devices (I have 330 down, 20 up). But during the last month or two my speed on all my iOS devices has been crap, this on on an iPhone 6S, 7, iPad Mini 4 and Apple TV 4th Gen.

If I use wired/wireless AC on my PC I can get the full 330 down, 20 up instantly everytime without fail, yet all my iOS devices fluctuate between different speeds, do a test and it's 300 down, another test it's then 30 down, then 100 down, then 180, then 50. It never used to be like this, I could run a speed test and get maxed out speed everytime on all my devices without fail. 

To try and fix this I have tried the basic router reboot, wiping the router via the website and with the reset button on the back, I have even tried downgrading the original netgear router firmware, I have even tried installing the open source DDWRT firmware but the result it the same. 

I have also tried resetting my iOS network settings, wiping it clean and starting fresh but again same speed fluctuations. I am completley at a loss as to why this is happening.

All I can think off is if starting with iOS 10.1 the iOS wifi driver is having compatibility issues with the broadcom chipset.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 8
jerbla
Apprentice

Thanks for your post, sounds like we are sharing a similar unexplainable problem. If I get t the bottom of it I will share with you,

Cheers

Message 6 of 8
wa1oui
Aspirant

Have you double checked that your cable modem will support 100M? I upgraded to a higher speed (200M) and had to upgrade my modem.

Message 7 of 8
jerbla
Apprentice

Hi thanks, yes I had 100mb the day of installation and have had on other days, seems I have bottomed it out, removing the QoS seems to have helped and some re workings of the speed test parameters. No logic however.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E