Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow and unresponsive web interface

JMill
Initiate

Slow and unresponsive web interface

Hello,

Is there some special magic that needs to be done to get the web interface on netgear routers to function?

I work for an ISP and every single netgear router that comes in to be configured has issues with the web intereface.
The one that I am currently working on now is a R8000.

I cannot get the web interface to load and function properly. On other netgear routers if the web interface loads, it takes a good 5 mintutes to save any setting.
Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Slow and unresponsive web interface

Something odd there. Never seen that sort of delay.

@JMill wrote:

I work for an ISP and every single netgear router that comes in to be configured has issues with the web intereface.

"Issues with the web interface" could mean anything. Slow? Plays funny music? Makes silly jokes? (Sorry about that.)

How are you approaching these things?

A wired link into a "naked" device, nothing else on the Internet to get in the way, is the best approach.

You are going to have trouble if you are connected to one network and then try to throw in something that expects to see a very different environment.

Take us through what you are doing and where it goes wrong.

Message 2 of 4
JMill
Initiate

The issues that I and my other tech have are that the web interface is excrutiatingly slow when trying to either just load the web interface or when you apply a setting wether its changing the admin pass, changing the wifi names, or even allowing icmp pings over the internet port. When I made this post yesterday, I was in the middle of trying to configure an AC3200 and I could not get to load at all and ended up calling the customer and heavily recommend to stay clear of Netgear products. 

I have tried plugging into a different lan port when it's slow, I have tried connecting over wifi instead of wired when it's slow, I have checked for a firmware update and when there is one, updating it makes no difference. 

When I am plugged in wired, I unplug my connection to our network and only have the connection to the routerplugged in to my laptop. Which is an M1 mac. 

And to be completely honest with you, I shouldn't have to unplug from my connection to the internal network here at my office. Whenever I do litteraly any other brand of router be it Linksys, Asus, TP-Link etc. I never have an issue keeping my internal connection plugged in and have a etherenet cable plugged into a lan port on the router. 

It goes wrong right from the start. There is nothing that I specifically do that causes it to slow down. 

Message 3 of 4

We still have next to no information about what you are doing and what happens.

It might start with a better understanding of what happens when a router boots.

First time around it is going through a sequence of device checks on firmware and the local network environment. This takes time.

A part of the process involves looking for another router on the network, so that the new one can set the right address for itself on the network.

That's why the network environment is important. If you

are already connected to the Internet on some other network, then the new router will spend time trying to join in the fun.

If the router has not been set up already, then a setup wizard kicks into help the user connect to the Internet.

You have to remember that these things are designed for people who have no network experience. So the setup process has to be as helpful as possible, even if it means things take time.

The setup process is not designed to make life easier for IT professionals. I guess Netgear expects them to be using fancier routers.

All I can say is that my experience is that the time taken is hardly drawn out. But when I want to play around with one of these things, I fire up a laptop and connect a router, and only a router, to that.

The last thing I would do is to use wifi for anything. Slow and prone to errors.

But not knowing proper details about what you are doing, this is all surmise on my part, based on fiddling around when these things since I was able to throw away my last dial-up modem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7