Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow ethernet, Fast wifi

E1Diablo
Guide

Slow ethernet, Fast wifi

My wifi is 48.8 Mbps down, 7.59 Mbps up, where as my ethernet is 5.59 down, 5.66 Mpbs up. I have done a factory reset, and no change. Any Ideas? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
E1Diablo
Guide

Re: Slow ethernet, Fast wifi

It was Killer Network Manager, I uninstalled it, reinstalled only the drivers and I am getting 60mbps down 6 mbps up. 

Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 19

All Replies

What FW do you have?

Message 2 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

FW stands for Firmware or Firewall? 

Firmware,

Hardware VersionR8000

Firmware VersionV1.0.3.36_1.1.25

GUI Language VersionV1.0.3.36_2.1.49.1

Firewall is Bitdefender 2017

Message 3 of 19

FW stands for firmware.

I note that you are running the latest FW, so download to your PC again the current FW.

Then routerlogin.net

then advanced settings

then administration

then router update

then "Locate and select the upgrade file on your hard disk."

browse select the FW and done deal

Keep me in the loop!

regards!

Message 4 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

Unchanged, still around 6mbps down, and 6 up. On my wifi I am getting 56mbps down and 8 up. 

Message 5 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

Unchanged, still around 6mbps down, and 6 up. On my wifi I am getting 56mbps down and 8 up. 

Message 6 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

I swapped the ethernet to a fast internet switch, and still got the same result from a speedtest. 5mbps down 6 mbps up.

I plugged my modem directly into my computer, same result 6mbps down, 6mbps up. 

I am going to try changing ethernet cables.

Message 7 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

New ethernet, same result. 6mbps down, 6mbps up. It has to be a configuration on my PC, that is all that is left that can cause this. 

Message 8 of 19
Daku7
Aspirant

It could be your PC but that is easy to check. If you have a modem that connects to the router simply disconnect the router. Then connect the modem to the testing PC directly using your best cable (preferbaly cat6). Check the speeds, If you get the right speed provided by your ISP then it is not your PC. 

Also while you mentioned doing a factory reset, but have you tried resetting the router by pressing that small pin hole sized button at the back of the router? Well it is on the back for mine but yours may be different. Press that small button with some pin or paper clip with the router turned on. Once you have everything in your network set up the way you want it, try testing again.

Message 9 of 19
William10a
Master

@E1Diablo wrote:

I swapped the ethernet to a fast internet switch, and still got the same result from a speedtest. 5mbps down 6 mbps up.

I plugged my modem directly into my computer, same result 6mbps down, 6mbps up. 

I am going to try changing ethernet cables.

Have you reset the lan port of the commputer for know's about the lan connection speed sounds like I'am crazy but I have seen a lan port on the computer need to reset before a few times before to accept the lan connection and work at fill speed?

Message 10 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

Switching ether net cables didn't work. Toms hardware has reported killer network manager can cause this issue. I am gonna try Uninstalling the manager, and use the drivers alone.
Message 11 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

It was Killer Network Manager, I uninstalled it, reinstalled only the drivers and I am getting 60mbps down 6 mbps up. 

Thanks for all the help.

Message 12 of 19
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

killer network manager? what is that??

Message 13 of 19
William10a
Master

Is it firewall type program by chance?

Message 14 of 19

We learn here a lot of stuffs thanks to everyone!

Message 15 of 19
William10a
Master

This program turns out to be a mixture of qos,traffic monitor and access control program and may be part of a firewall for design gamers a interesting  idea but has it's problems.

Message 16 of 19

For me the less programs you have running the more efficeint your network is!

I may be grumpy but the more mess you add to the equation the more trouble you ar getting into!!

Message 17 of 19
William10a
Master

I would ever use it to many functions and I can not see how it could do every thing without having issues.

Message 18 of 19
E1Diablo
Guide

Killer Internet is my motherboards Lan chipset, the drivers come with Killer network manager which restricts traffic unless they are video games, to install drivers alone I needed to go through device manager, then direct it to where I had the drivers on my hard drive. Of course killer doesn't offer the drivers in an .exe, without the manager bundled in.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7