Slow lan speed fast WiFi

Dtully
Aspirant

Slow lan speed fast WiFi

Hey guys,

I'm not an expert in this field by any means so I could use some help solving this issue with answers being broken down barney style. My issue is this. I am supposed to bereceiving 250 Mbps per my contract with Comcast. When I run a hardwire from my router to my computer or any device, my LAN port LED lights are amber and I can only pump out 90 Mbps. If I connect wirelessly, I can get speeds on my computer of 250 Mbps. I use all Cat.5e cables to connect everything. The issue is the speed coming out of the LAN ports on my router. Any ideas?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow lan speed fast WiFi

Is sure your modem and wired PC is connecting at 1000Mb and not 100Mb. Older modems and network adapter cards only supported 100Mb. Most devices now days are supporting 1000mb on the RJ45 ports.

Disable any QoS, Traffic Meter and access controls on the router.

Factory reset and set up the router from scratch with mimimal configuration and test.

Disable any PC security software temporarily.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 20
IrvSp
Master

Don't have an R7000P but I assume it uses the same Browser Genie as the R7000. If so, open it and then on the ADVANCED tab, on the INTERNET PORT box click on SHOW STATISTICS... it will show you how the ports connect. Suspect it will show 100Mbps.... so either the cable or the network adapter is limiting it.

Message 3 of 20
Dtully
Aspirant

It shows the following:

WAN: 1000M/Full

LAN1: Link Down

LAN2: Link Down

LAN3: Link Down

LAN4: Link Down

2.4G WLAN b/g/n: 600M

5g WLAN a/n/ac: 1625M

What does any of that mean?

Message 4 of 20

@Dtully wrote:

When I run a hardwire from my router to my computer or any device, my LAN port LED lights are amber ...

As @FURRYe38 says that is usually a sign that the computer has on-board LAN limited to 100 Mbps.

There is a manual for the R7000P somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R7000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Look at Table 1. LED descriptions.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@Dtully wrote:

It shows the following:

WAN: 1000M/Full

LAN1: Link Down

LAN2: Link Down

LAN3: Link Down

LAN4: Link Down

2.4G WLAN b/g/n: 600M

5g WLAN a/n/ac: 1625M

What does any of that mean?

The ones that are LAN1 - LAN4 are the speed of the cable. If you copied that correctly, you have NO cables from the router to any WIRED devices connected. WAN indicates a 1GB cable between  the modem and router.

Are you SURE you have cables from the PC connected to the ROUTER, and not maybe the modem which is really a modem combo with a router from the ISP?

Message 6 of 20
Dtully
Aspirant

I currently have a Netgear CM1000 modem paired with a Net gear AC2300 Nighthawk router. Every single cable plugged into any device is a  brand new Cat5e. I just did a reset on the both the modem and the router and i'm still capping at 100Mbps. If I go into the NETWORK settings and pull up the ADAPTERS and open the STATUS window for the ETHERNET adapter, it says the speed is 100Mbps. I'm really running out of ideas now. I've done my homework, every single port and cable I have going anywhere is Gigabit capable.

Message 7 of 20
IrvSp
Master

Let me recap here:

• Wireless speed is 250Mbps or so
  • Wired is less than 100Mbps
  • Wired cables are all CAT5 or better and capable of 1Gbps
  • Network settings on the Adapter on the PC says 100Mbps

Is this correct?

What I know for sure:

• 250Mbps is ISP speed to you
  • Cable connection between Modem and Router is 250Mbps.

What appears to be unknown:

• Why the LAN1 - 4 show LINK DOWN?
  • The make, mode, and Ethernet adapter in the PC in question
  • Did the PC ever get 250Mbps?
  • Did you connect the PC to the modem and test speed?

Assumptions I am making as I appear to have some incomplete information:

• The LAN1 - 4 showing LINK DOWN is a posting error as the PC is connect to one unknown port and getting Internet Service
  • The Network Adapter in the PC has only a 100Mbps capability.

All the above will explain why you could be getting only 100Mbps at the PC (without knowing all the details of that PC).

Message 8 of 20

@Dtully wrote:

If I go into the NETWORK settings and pull up the ADAPTERS and open the STATUS window for the ETHERNET adapter, it says the speed is 100Mbps.

Please answer the question from @IrvSp about the make, mode and Ethernet adapter in the PC in question.

What is the Ethernet adapter that you are looking at in Windows?

The most obvious explanation of what you see is that this Ethernet adapter is limited to 100Mbps.

One clue would be how old it is, and what it is. Old kit is slower, and laptops took longer to get up to speed. Anything less than five years old should be Gigabit Ethernet, but you never know.

When you know what hardware is behind this Ethernet adapter you may be able to improve things by finding Windows drivers that can deliver 1000 Mbps. But that will work only if you have hardware that is up to scratch.

Windows update will not find hardware drivers like that, so you may have to find them on the support site for the hardware.

We keep coming back to that. What is this Ethernet adapter?

Answer that question and enlightenment may follow.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 20
Dtully
Aspirant

The network card I have in my computer is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Message 10 of 20
Dtully
Aspirant

PC gets close to 250Mbps when I run wireless connection, which makes no sense. When I connect the PC directly to the modem It says there is no internet connection. My Xbox One X and PS4 Pro never get over 100Mbps when either, both of those running on wires from the router.

Message 11 of 20

@Dtully wrote:

PC gets close to 250Mbps when I run wireless connection, which makes no sense. 

Why not? Wifi can handle those speeds, depending on the wifi client, although it is usually slower than wired ethernet.

@Dtully wrote:

When I connect the PC directly to the modem It says there is no internet connection.

That is because it expects the router to be in charge.

@Dtully wrote:

My Xbox One X and PS4 Pro never get over 100Mbps when either, both of those running on wires from the router.

And what are the specs for their Ethernet ports?

I know from bitter experience that you need the right Windows drivers for the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

We still don't know why you have that "Link Down" indicator.

I have just noticed that we haven't asked about the version of the firmware on your R7000P.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@Dtully wrote:

When I connect the PC directly to the modem It says there is no internet connection.

Well, if you have NOT turned off both the PC and MODEM before connecting the PC that will be the case. Modem's 'know' who to connect to, they retain the MAC address. You must turn both off, and then turn on the Modem, wait till it is on-line/fully up, then plug in the PC and power it up. It should then be fine. When you go back to your normal setup you have to do the do the power down sequence again too.

@Dtully wrote:

My Xbox One X and PS4 Pro never get over 100Mbps when either, both of those running on wires from the router.

Great, more information we've not been told. We are not magicians and can see what you have.

Are ALL these also 1Gb capable?

Possible one of those are 'loading down' the router ports... DISCONNECT those and test with ONLY the PC connected. If that 'cures' the problem then connect ONLY one, test, OK, put the last one on and test. One or both might make it fail.

Now a more interesting 'problem'. Why does the LAN ports report on the router NOT show any connections? If you do have it working correctly without one of those connected, check the report page and see if they appear to be 1000mbps or even 100Mbps?

What is the DRIVER VERSION for the RealTek? See my JPG attached at the right, you can see this in the properties from the Device Manager.

Is there anything else that you need to disclose about your configuration we might need to know? I'm thinking about in the RealTek Properties on the ADVANCED tab the value for the Propery for Speed & Duplex. Should be 1.0Gbps Full Duplex, is it?

Message 13 of 20

@IrvSp wrote:

What is the DRIVER VERSION for the RealTek? See my JPG attached at the right, you can see this in the properties from the Device Manager.

By coincidence, I got some new ones today.

Realtek - [http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn...

But they might not be for that hardware. Who knows? As you say we are in "blood out of a stone" country.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

By coincidence, I got some new ones today.

Realtek - [http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn...

But they might not be for that hardware. Who knows? As you say we are in "blood out of a stone" country.

Very Interesting? I see a new one today for my 8168 at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=5&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTyp... but you might want to take it down and see the README of open and drill down to the language you need and then the INDEX.HTML...

I see this:

----------------

Using this document

This document is intended for the installation information of "Realtek FE/GbE Family Controller" under the followings Windows operation systems:

Windows 8

• NDIS 6.30 Miniport driver Windows 8(32-bit)
  • NDIS 6.30 Miniport driver Windows 8(64-bit)

---------------

I wonder if that is all? W10 usually picks up later drivers, but with it today, who knows? There is a W10 folder with a 7/23 date though? Who knows?  I'm now running the 10.12.1007.2016 version which is from 10/7/2016... long time ago driver wise... everything seems to work?

Maybe later I'll try installing it, but I wish the README had detailed changes... not a driver I'd want to install and then find I have problems...

Message 15 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward, since my PC was imaged yesterday I went and tried installing the lastest 'version'. Yes, on W10 Spring V1803 it DID install. I used the MODIFY choice and it determined the new driver needed to be installed. Now showing 10.28.615.2018 date 6/15/2018. Can NOT find out what changed though... Seems to work fine. Windows Update didn't pick it up though, but it appears it went into the W10 Catalog yesterday. I'll assume those on Automatic Update will now pick it up at sometime.

Message 16 of 20

Windows Update didn't pick it up though, but it appears it went into the W10 Catalog yesterday. I'll assume those on Automatic Update will now pick it up at sometime.

I don't keep a close eye on what Windows Update does, but drivers rarely show up as a part of the package. Certainly not chipset drivers.

Looking at the update history, I see just one set of drivers, for my new Samsung phone.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Windows Update didn't pick it up though, but it appears it went into the W10 Catalog yesterday. I'll assume those on Automatic Update will now pick it up at sometime.

I don't keep a close eye on what Windows Update does, but drivers rarely show up as a part of the package. Certainly not chipset drivers.

Looking at the update history, I see just one set of drivers, for my new Samsung phone.

Tachnically every driver is a 'chipset' driver. V1803 wiped out past history of installs when it was installed. I do recall seeing some before.

Since I installed V1803 on 5/18, I did get a driver update for my HP printer this month. See attached screen shot.

Message 18 of 20

Tachnically every driver is a 'chipset' driver. V1803 wiped out past history of installs when it was installed. I do recall seeing some before.

Sort of. Although I can't see how printer drivers are "chipset". I should have said motherboard chipset.

Just another user.

Message 19 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sort of. Although I can't see how printer drivers are "chipset". I should have said motherboard chipset.

Drivers, by design, interface with a chipset mostly. Some like video drivers will interface with the video chipsets, which could be on the motherboard or a bus card in the PC. Even a printer driver will interface with the installed connection chips, USB, Network, or Ethernet chips.

Some people though do think of the chips that surround the CPU a chipset, which they are, as they do come in sets. Each CPU with its own, but the interface is all the same to those. I guess one could make a case for chipset drivers to be either 'device' or 'motherboard' though. I guess 'chipset' itself is a misnomer. Could be more than one chip and then the driver wouldn't be for a chipset I guess, and here I'm thinking of things like USB or Network drivers (although these could utilize more than one chip too).

Drivers are just what the OS needs to interface to something...

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E