Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow speeds

Slow speeds

My nighthawk is now up and running but is still is running at the same speed as my century link router. Is there anyway I can up the speed? I saw on here you can change the firmware but that was from 2018. Is there a solution now that is better then the one from 2018?
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 26
microchip8
Master

Re: Slow speeds

You don't provide useful information.

What router did you previously had and what speeds did you get then?

Are you talking about wired or wireless speeds?

How are you testing?

Which firmware do you have now on the Nighthawk? ("latest" is not a version)

Message 2 of 26

Is the Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in your footer involved in this in anyway? Or did you just click the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message?

Message 3 of 26
plemans
Guru

Also, what centurylink gateway do you have? 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the centurylink gateway? 

And from your netgear router? 

And how are you testing your speeds? wireless (and what band)? Wired? 

Details are important for us to help

Message 4 of 26

I’m testing my speeds with the nighthawk app on my phone.
It says I have 1.22mbps download and .72mbps upload. I read on the internet that it’s suppose to be at 25mbps but the app still says 1.22 is moderate.
My century link router is called a 80211n. On the router it says 2.4g so that might be what your talking about with hardwired speeds.
I can’t tell you what we pay for because I’m the only one that uses the wifi in the house.
I asked my mother for information but she said she didn’t care because she doesn’t use it.
If you could tell me if I need anymore information I’ll try to find it.
Message 5 of 26

The firmware that it’s on is v1.0.9.88
I’m testing using the nighthawk app on my phone.
These are wireless speeds since I can’t connect an Ethernet cord to my Xbox.
My century link router is called a 80211n
I don’t know what mbps speeds the centurylink router was previously on but I know the ping was always in the 120s.
Message 6 of 26
antinode
Guru

> My century link router is called a 80211n. [...]

Not likely.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

Look at the label on the thing, whatever it is.  Hints:

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers.html

> My nighthawk [...]

Also still a mystery.  Look for "Model" on the product label.
Connected to what?

> [...] I read on the internet [...]

Thanks for the helpful link.  Who "on the internet" knows anything
about the level of your DSL service?

> [...] still is running at the same speed as my century link router.
> [...]

If the bottleneck in your stuff is your DSL service or your DSL
modem, then no router in the world will make it any faster.

Message 7 of 26

I found out it is a https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/zyxel-c1100z.html
I don’t know how to tell if my router issues is due to the dsl or not.
Message 8 of 26
antinode
Guru

> I don't know how to tell if my router issues is due to the dsl or not.

Presumably, "The modem status area of the user interface" of the
C1100Z would give you some clues as to the actual DSL link rate.  I'd
guess that CenturyLink (or a monthly statement therefrom) could tell you
for what speed the account holder is paying.

> Connected to what?

Still a mystery.

Message 9 of 26

I’m not sure what you mean by “connected to what.”
If ur talking about the dsl, it is connected to the phone jack in the wall.
(Sorry if I’m sounding dumb or not answering your questions correctly I don’t know much about these kinds of problems)
Message 10 of 26

@Brant_miller24 wrote:
I’m testing my speeds with the nighthawk app on my phone.

That actually tells the router to run its own speed test. It isn't testing wifi speeds. You can do that using something like the Speedtest app.

If you expect a new router to suddenly make everything go faster, you may be out of luck. The speed you get is set by the modem that connects you to the Internet. Nothing can make that go faster, not even a new modem. That is set by the Internet service provider.

The only way to get a faster connection is to pay for a faster service. (Not all ISPs can offer that, because the local telephone service isn't up to it.) Or you can see if there is a better ISP in your area.

We still do not know what Netgear device you are using.

The question about what the unnamed Netgear router is connected to refers to the modem that plugs into the phone socket.

If the link is correct, we do know that you have a Zyxel C1100Z modem. In reality, this is a modem/router. Adding another router to that is asking for trouble.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The bottom line is that, as others have explained to you, nothing is going to make your Internet go faster than the modem can deliver. Ask your ISP what speed you are paying for.

1.22 Mbps is very slow by DSL standards. A decent service can get 70 Mbps. But that depends on the local infrastructure and how far you are from the box that connects you to the Internet.

Message 11 of 26
antinode
Guru

> I'm not sure what you mean by "connected to what."

I'm not sure that I can make it any clearer.

> >    My nighthawk [...]
>
>    Also still a mystery.  Look for "Model" on the product label.
> Connected to what?

Perhaps you should start with the easy question.  About what,
exactly, are we talking?

> The firmware that it's on is v1.0.9.88

What, exactly, is "it"?

> If ur talking about the dsl, it is connected to the phone jack in the
> wall.

What, exactly, does "the dsl" mean to you?

> [...] I don't know much about these kinds of problems)

Can you identify the boxes in front of you?  It's not a trick
question.  Then you might advance to where the wires go.

Message 12 of 26

My Zyxel C1100Z cable is connected from the phone jack to the dsl. My A7000 Nighthawk AC1900 has an Ethernet cable running from the wan/lan jack to the c1100z wan/lan jack. My A7000 nighthawk AC1900 is on firmware version v1.0.9.88
Message 13 of 26

What is the point of having a A7000 nighthawk AC19000 if it doesn’t boost internet speed.
Message 14 of 26

@Brant_miller24 wrote:
My A7000 Nighthawk AC1900 has an Ethernet cable running from the wan/lan jack to the c1100z wan/lan jack. 

The A7000 doesn't have a LAN port. Must be something else. 

Message 15 of 26

Sorry it is r7000
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 16 of 26
antinode
Guru

> My Zyxel C1100Z cable is connected from the phone jack to the dsl.
> [...]

>    What, exactly, does "the dsl" mean to you?

Still a mystery.  Which part of "exactly" was unclear to you?

> [...] My A7000 Nighthawk AC1900 has an Ethernet cable running from the
> wan/lan jack to the c1100z wan/lan jack.

What, exactly, does "the wan/lan jack" mean to you?  What is actually
printed on the device by the connector(s)?

> What is the point of having a [R7000] nighthawk AC19000 if it doesn't
> boost internet speed.

Why did _you_ get one?

A Zyxel C1100Z offers only 2.4GHz wireless service.  An R7000 offers
both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  The R7000 may have other router features which
are valuable to various users.

> Sorry it is r7000

At last.  Now, if you could learn to read the rest of the labels, we
might get somewhere.  (Preferably in fewer than another dozen useless
posts.)

Message 17 of 26

What dsl means to me is the part that distributes the connection.
What wan/lan means to me is the area that the connection reaches to. T
The zyxel doesn’t have any information written on it about the dsl besides the title “dsl”.
Under the title “wan” on the nighthawk it says usb 3 on it.
I purchased the nighthawk to boost my mbps speeds, can it not do that?
Message 18 of 26

@Brant_miller24 wrote:
I purchased the nighthawk to boost my mbps speeds, can it not do that?

Probably not.

A better router can certainly provide faster wifi. Not just the 5 GHz versus 2.4 GHz gain, but in the technology behind those frequencies.

Really flashy routers bristle with antennae and controls that can deliver faster wifi. But that happens only if you have wifi clients that can use that clever stuff. For example, today's new phones from Samsung and Apple, for example, will knock spots off something you bought 10 years ago.

One thing a new router cannot do is to squeeze more speed down your Internet connection from the outside world. That depends on various factors that have already been explained to you.  But let's try again.

The speed is set by the technology that arrives at your front door. In your case, it seems to be DSL. That's a way of making an old telephone line, one that used to max out at 1200 KBps, squeeze up to around 70 MBps. But you'll only get that speed if you live in the right place and your ISP  has installed the rights bits and pieces. You also have to subscribe to a sevice that give you that speed. Many ISPs charge more for faster connections with unlimited data use.

Buying a fancy router does not provide a short cut around the Internet technology that goes down your street.

People buy clever routers not basically for the speed but because they can get better wifi that can handle more clients and can go about it with some "intelligence", balancing more important tasks against things that can go hang.

A classy router will also let you fill the whole place with decent wifi. Some cheap junk from your ISP may be fine if you sit next to it, but the signal will vanish when you visit the smallest room in the house.

The R7000 you own is a middle of the range, "workhorse" router with several bells and whistles that can also protect you from wicked people trying to break into your network. It will not suddenly put the connection that comes out of your modem on steroids.

We still don't know what speed you pay your ISP to provide. Without knowing that, it is impossible to say what speed your modem should feed into your router and if you can tweak your R7000 to perform better.

Message 19 of 26

I found out we pay for 3mbps broadband for 45 dollars a month for our zyxel.
Message 20 of 26

@Brant_miller24 wrote:
I found out we pay for 3mbps broadband for 45 dollars a month for our zyxel.

3 Mbps is dreadful, especially at that price. But you should be able to get more than the 1.2 Mbps you said earlier on. At least, with a wired connection. WiFi will always be lower. What you get with that is down to several unknown factors. 

Your new router will never provide a decent service. For that you probably need a better ISP. 

Message 21 of 26

Do you recommend going with another service?
I’m very opened to do that because my family has been wanting to change to xfinity for awhile.
Do you recommend I should go with xfinity for my wifi provider, or should I stay with centurylink and figure something else out?
Do you recommend any new routers or modems I can purchase to replace the zyxel?
Message 22 of 26

@Brant_miller24 wrote:
Do you recommend going with another service?
I’m very opened to do that because my family has been wanting to change to xfinity for awhile.
Do you recommend I should go with xfinity for my wifi provider, or should I stay with centurylink and figure something else out?
Do you recommend any new routers or modems I can purchase to replace the zyxel?

Choosing an ISP is very much down to local circumstances. I am in the UK. In theory I have plenty of different choices, but mostly they use the same old telephone lines.

I have no idea what the situation is like where you are. My first move would be to ask the neighbours what they use.

I couldn't comment on xfinity  versus centurylink. I know nothing about them. But most ISPs have a web page where you can plug in your location and get an instant read out of the speeds you could get and how much it would cost.

When it comes to equipment, that depends on the sport of service you get. Cable, DSL and "full fiber" will be the most popular. Each needs its own hardware.

If you already own a modem, rather than rent one, it might work on whatever you sign up for. The ISP should be able to tell you that, although most do like to rent equipment so that they can keep charging you. Experienced users like to choose their own hardware.

Message 23 of 26
plemans
Guru

As much as I despise xfinity, their cable services base levels are going to be much faster than the centurylink dsl that you're currently getting. 

Message 24 of 26

What is wrong with xfinity, I’ve heard great things about there internet speeds.
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7