Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow throughput from Gigabit ISP

ericseaberg
Tutor

Slow throughput from Gigabit ISP

I purchased my Nighthawk R9000 from FlashRouters with DD-WRT firmware installed and have had nothing but issues with its implementaion.  I've been back-n-forth many times with the people there, and have spent a lot of time on the DD-WRT user board without help.

My next option is to revert the Nighthawk back to Netgear firmware and start over, but I want to make sure my throughput comes back.

With just over 900Mb down and 35Mb up from my ISP, I'm getting almost half that to wired connections and 1/3 of that to AC WiFi.  Previously I had an Apple Airport Extreme and would get full speed on wired and 90% of that over AC WiFi, so I'm a little consufed why a router with so much processing power would crap out on me.  I did connect one of my computers directly to my cable modem and have confirmed the 'purchased' speeds are coming in.

QOS and VPN services are all off within the DD-WRT firmware... I'm just really looking for a response from ANYONE here who is running default Netgear firmware and is getting the speeds they're expecting.

Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
labatt
Mentor

Re: Slow throughput from Gigabit ISP

Glad you have a working r9000. I ran DD-WRT on various routers starting with a Linksys WRT54G back in 2006. Was a solid firmware for the most part and lots more knobs to twist. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

did you try the stock firmware?

Or Voxel's 3rd party firmware? 

Message 2 of 11
ericseaberg
Tutor

Thanks for the reply... and, NO, I haven't tried the stock firmware.  I purchased the Nighthawk from FlashRouters presetup with DD-WRT and my ExpressVPN credentials.

I really just want to know if anyone else has had throughput issues with the stock firmware.

What is the advantage with Voxel over DD-WRT?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

1. the firmware you've got is made by a company to work with its vpn setup. Their main goal is to sell vpn service and their setup, not support/update firmwares.  Plus it always leaves them an "out" like "its netgear's hardware, its their fault" or "its because of how dd-wrt works".  Their main goal isn't how well the router runs. 

2. voxel's firmware has been pretty solid and well reviewed for 3rd party firmwares. its free and has been pretty popular for netgear devices. 

3. The stock firmware does support gigabit. I don't have a R9000 so I can't personally attest to it hitting gigabit but I've helped others get to gigabit. the main recommendations I have are to avoid access control, qos, traffic monitoring if you're having issues.  

Message 4 of 11
labatt
Mentor

I don't think that DD-WRT supports CTF in all their firmware. That might explain the slow speed. Should you decide to install Netgear firmware, be careful with how you do it. Normally DD-WRT has a back to OEM file for the initial Netgear install. Just trying to install Netgear OEM firmware over DD-WRT does not normally work in my experience. 

Message 5 of 11
ericseaberg
Tutor

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I had been in contact with FlashRouters and they sent me a link to get this:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000-V1.0.5.8.zip

Look correct?  Sounds like that the way I'm going to have to go, which is fine by me.  I was having so many issues with ExpressVPN disconnecting a lot and things losing connections all over the house.

I may also take a quick look at Voxel's firmware that plemans suggested.

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

I would do as @labatt suggests and look at the back to stock from dd-wrt file. You don't want to brick your device changing firmwares. 

I'd also suggest any firmware changes be done over a hardwired connection. 

Message 7 of 11
ericseaberg
Tutor

I assume that would be on the DD-WRT site?  Thanks again for the help.  I suppose none of the Reserved IP settings I've created for my network can be saved, can they?  Any BACKUPS from the router as it is would, most likely, be garbage with new firmware.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

yes, don't use your ip tables or backups

Message 9 of 11
ericseaberg
Tutor

I decided NOT to revert back to OEM firmware and found a setting within DD-WRT that enables the "Shortcut Forwarding Engine".  I now have full throughput on wired and wireless devices.  No more VPN, which is totally fine with me.  I need the speed and it's working now.

Thanks for all of the help.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 10 of 11
labatt
Mentor

Glad you have a working r9000. I ran DD-WRT on various routers starting with a Linksys WRT54G back in 2006. Was a solid firmware for the most part and lots more knobs to twist. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7