Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow wifi speed.

Th3-0n3
Tutor

Slow wifi speed.

I have a netgear cm1000 for the modem connected to my netgear nighthawk R7800 router my service is with comcast/ xifnity 400 download 10 upload. When I connect my PC to the modem I get the full 400. When i plug the router to the modem and connect my PC to the router with a ethernet cable I get around 370 to 400 that's good. The problem is wifi I can only get 25 download thats on 5Ghz band. The router is in the latest version online gaming and sometimes video streaming lags alot only on wifi. It used to work fine I would be able to game with wifi with no lag or anything I was also able to get the full 400mbps on wifi. I tried turning the router and modem off several times. Things I have disable
- Qos is disable
- Traffic meter disable
- WMM disable
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

WMM should be enabled, not disabled

you should roll back the firmware to .52 as both .58 and .60 have wifi problems NG needs to address

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
microchip8
Master

WMM should be enabled, not disabled

you should roll back the firmware to .52 as both .58 and .60 have wifi problems NG needs to address

Message 2 of 8
Th3-0n3
Tutor

I just want to say thanks for replying and WMM I disable yesturday since gaming online got really bad and I read in a netgear page that it helps to disable this. I roll back to the when I get home now should I do a factory reset before i roll back or roll back to the .52 then a factory reset?
Message 3 of 8
Th3-0n3
Tutor

I hope this fixes the problem I was about to buy a new router yesturday but man I'll save alot it it works.
Message 4 of 8
myersw
Master

@Th3-0n3 wrote:
I hope this fixes the problem I was about to buy a new router yesturday but man I'll save alot it it works.

Two things. Voxel firmware runs well on the r7800 and he has done some fixes that Netgear has not yet. Good firmware in my experience. 

Second thing. Should you decide to get a different router I would strongly urge you look someplace other then Netgear. Netgear really does not seem to have their act together regarding firmware. All releases seem to have major problems right now. 

Message 5 of 8
Th3-0n3
Tutor

Thanks I'll check that out also what other router would you recommend in case I need to get one?
Message 6 of 8
myersw
Master

@Th3-0n3 wrote:
Thanks I'll check that out also what other router would you recommend in case I need to get one?

Right now I have gone up to the next level and running Ubiquiti Unifi gateway (router) with Unifi AP's these then to be a more comercial product set and need some network knowledge to setup. Therefore I am not really running what I would recommend to the average Netgear forum member. I have over 20 years experience in routers and networks. 

I watch forums folks have had good luck with Asus RT-AC86U similar to the r7800 and some Linksys. That is about all I have in the recommended area. Sorry I cannot be more specific. 

Message 7 of 8
Th3-0n3
Tutor

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements