Highlighted
Initiate

Slow wifi speeds with Mobile devices on Nighthawk R7000

My issue is as followed;

My Macbook pro can get my full internet speed of 300Mbps down and 30 up and my Android devices use to get 130Mbps or so down.  Now I'm lucky if any of them will get 50Mbps down.  This is on my LG G4, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV 3rd Gen and my Nexus 9 tablet.  I only connect these devices to my 5Ghz network.

I don't have QoS enabled but I do have WMM enabled.  I have firmware vs 1.09.12_1.2.23.

I can stand right next to the router or be in another room on these mobile devices, it doesn't matter as they will always get 40 to 50 Mbps down on a speed test.  I don't know if this is a Netgear or Android issue as again my Macbook Pro get's full wireless speed just fine, that said as stated above my android devices use to connect just fine.

LG G4 is running Android 6 where as my Fire TV 3rd Gen and Nexus 9 are on Android 7.

I've tried resetting the router several times and setting it up, no luck.  I've also tried changing the wireless channels to see if that helps, no luck.

Anyone else having slow mobile connection speeds with netgear?

Thanks in Advance! 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: Slow wifi speeds with Mobile devices on Nighthawk R7000

I'm having exactly the same issue with my nighthawk R7000 since uploading the latest firmware this morning. My 2 Android devices have slowed right down. Sony Xperia now downloads at 40 mbs was pulling down 200 max Speed of my service using 5GHz access. Windows 7 PC is fine both on Ethernet or WiFi.

Very frustrating would like to go back to old firmware. Tried lots of settings to fix this including changing Mtu to 1480 from 1500 but no fix.

I wish Netgear wouldnt stuff up Android devices with their firmware loads!
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Initiate

I finally gave up and went 3rd party firmware as I figured if I hosed my router I'd just use the comcast one built into my modem till I could buy something else.

I went with the Xwrt-Vortex (asuswrt-merlin) and that solved all my wifi issues.  Hell I'm even closer to xfering at gigabit lan speeds again.  Prior linksys routers I've owned I could xfer from wired lan to lan at 100 MB/s, with this router I'd never get over 50 MB/s, now with this 3rd party firmware I'm getting 70 MB/s.  This will be the first and last netgear router I ever own.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Initiate

Excellent feedback and information..
Much appreciated, will do the same. Ran similar on my old TP link router with great results... Cheers
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements