Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow wired speed on Xfinity gigabit service

JerseyBiker
Aspirant

Slow wired speed on Xfinity gigabit service

I just upgraded my broadband service on Comcast to their Gigabit speed service. I first replaced my Netgear CM500 modem because Comcast said it wasn’t capable of the faster speed. I purchased an Arris Surfboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1. Comcast wanted me to use their all in one modem/router/voice unit. I don’t like using Comcast equipment if I don’t have to. Anyway, when I connect my Arris modem directly to my desktop, I get great speeds of around 925 Mbps. When I connect my modem to my Netgear R7000 router and ethernet from the router to the desktop, the desktop speeds drop all the way down to around 292 Mbps. It appears something is not right with the Netgear router since I get great speed with the modem connected directly to the desktop. If it matters, I’m using Fresh Tomato firmware. Any suggestions? Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Razor512
Prodigy

If possible restore the stock Netgear firmware.

While I have not used tomato in a long time, the last time I checked, it does not seem to offer CTF on R7000, in which case WAN to LAN throughput will be low. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

This is a Netgear only forum. You will not get much help when using Tomato. Have you asked on the tomato forums?

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php

Message 2 of 5
JerseyBiker
Aspirant

@labatt wrote:

This is a Netgear only forum. You will not get much help when using Tomato. Have you asked on the tomato forums?

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php

Thanks, I was hoping it didn't have anything to do with the firmware. I always had issuses with stock Netgear firmware. Never any issues with Tomato. I'll take you advice and ask the question on a Tomato forum, but they are not organized like here. If I can't find a solution I'll first try going back to stock first, and using the Xfinity XB6-T unit.

Message 3 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

If possible restore the stock Netgear firmware.

While I have not used tomato in a long time, the last time I checked, it does not seem to offer CTF on R7000, in which case WAN to LAN throughput will be low. 

Message 4 of 5
JerseyBiker
Aspirant

Actually it was the CTF setting. Yes it is on tomato firmware for the R7000. Someone on the tomato forum told me about the setting. So I already check it. It's in Advaned, miscellaneous. After IO made the change, I'm up to 936 Mbps.  Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7