Slow wireless with gigabit FIOS

amonty
Aspirant

Slow wireless with gigabit FIOS

Hello,

I am very frustrated! I have both a R7000 and a R8500 router. I am trying to use one or both of them in AP mode as I just upgraded to FIOS gigabit. They previously worked fine at my 150/150 speed, but now with the upgrade, I am getting 300/600 wirelessly sitting right next to the router. When I am wired, I am getting 900/880 consistently.

I've looked at every post I can find here and tried most everything. I have done several factory resets, tried changing every setting I can find, gone to the latest firmware, etc.

I spent way too much money on these things for me to not be able to get the full advertised speed! I have not tried going to old firmware because I have seen so many say it didn't help, but I will if you can point me to a specific one.

Thanks for any help!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router,R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
netwrks
Master

Re: Slow wireless with gigabit FIOS

You should be looking at your clients first, then your routers.. If it's a  2x2 phone or,  2x2 laptop, ( 2x2 radio's 802.11.ac clients), then you are getting expected throughput. Doing the math connected rate  (PHY RATE)  867Mbps / 2 (wifi half duplex) = 433.50, (if you are getting up to 600Mbps you are doing great!).  But, wifi isn't perfect, and there is no guaranteed rate, as it dependant on your  routers configuration capabilities, / abilities amount of radios( 2x2 3x3 4x4 etc), your environment / local wireless interference.  If you want faster wifi , you would be looking at the Apple MacBook Pro (Touchbar, Late 2016), which can achieve a phy rate of 1300Mbps, but, as I mentioned above, wifi isn't perfect.  Your 8500 would support a Apple MacBook Pro (Touchbar, Late 2016).

Message 2 of 5
amonty
Aspirant

I have never heard before that wireless can only be a max of 50% of the wired speed. Is that really the case? So I would have to have a 2 gigabit connection to get 1 gigabit over wireless?

I hear your point about the clients. I'm using two pretty good laptops, but not a recent MacBook. Are you saying if I were to go buy one of the USB wireless adapters that are rated at 1200 or 1900 that I would then be able to get gigabit wirelessly? Or I am still going to be limited by your 50% rule above?

Can you suggest any router config changes to be able to get the top speed for both download and upload? I've chosen channels that don't seem to have interferrence, gone to the latest firmware, sat right next to the router, etc.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
mallshouse
Aspirant

Yesterday I set the R8000 up, with Netgear support assistance, as the primary router. Resulting speeds and range were fantastic. Sadly, I found out that this prevented the FiOS TV guide and VOD from working, so I switched to AP mode today. Speed and range in AP mode is unimpressive and I have to consider returning the router, given that the improvement may not justify the cost. I too would appreciate any suggestions that might improve this situation.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 5
amonty
Aspirant

To follow-up on this. I purchased a TP-link AC1900 USB 3.0 adapter that has 4 radios. Using that adapter, I easily get the full upload speeds that the gigabit connection allows - upwards of 900 Mbps. So, I don't believe the rule that you can only get 50% of the wired speed is correct. However, the download speeds continue to be terrible (in the 300 range) and I am back to thinking it is the router and not my client.

Netgear, can you help? I'm very disappointed in this product right now. My next steps would be to go buy better access points, but I really don't want to spend more money when I already bought top of the line Netgear products.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E