Aspirant

Sluggish (not slow) internet on WiFi but wired is fast

Hello everyone!

So here is an interesting problem I have, at my home network:

1. Web browsing on a computer connected via Wi-Fi is sluggish, pages take up to 3-4 seconds to load, feels like being on a dial up modem sometimes.
  2. Same computer connected via wired ethernet, web browsing is super fast! Pages load instantly.
  3. Here is where it gets interesting >> If I run speed test, the results are identical on both wired and wifi. This means the internet speed is the same on both wired and wireless connections.

Please note that I am NOT saying that internet download / upload speed is slow over WiFi. Nope :-) it is identical to wired. Some kind of latency is there.

What is the problem?

How can I resolve it?

More information:

I have tested this using 4 laptops and two desktops, results are identical.

One of the desktops has a powerful wifi card with external antenae, still internet appears sluggish.

Most of these machines have 5GHz capable NICs so I always try to have them use 5GHz instead of 2.4 Ghz.

Experience is the same on 2.4 Ghz

QoS is enabled on the router.

Nighthawk R8000 router running the latest firmware.

Comcast is the ISP (they are not at fault because wired connection is super fast).

Thanks for any tips/help!

-rajdude

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
Aspirant

Re: Sluggish (not slow) internet on WiFi but wired is fast

ok so I have been doing a lot of research on the internet about this problem. Lot of people say try to disable QoS and WMM. I just tried them both one by one and both disabled at the same time..........no change at all.

I wonder what the problem is!

Message 2 of 8
Aspirant

I am facing similar situation, but when I connect via cable connection doubles speed.
Just did firmware’s update days ago
C6300
Message 3 of 8
Master

Hi rajdude,

Try changing the MTU size.

https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

https://kb.netgear.com/24015/How-do-I-change-the-MTU-size-on-my-Nighthawk-router

If still the same, reset and reconfigure.

Hi MarceloLuca,

Please post your issue under Cable modem board.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Message 4 of 8
Master

Hi rajdude,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 8
Aspirant

I tried the suggested changes, but that did not make any difference.  The problem still persists.

I am starting to wonder if my particular unit is defective or something?

Message 6 of 8
Master

Hi rajdude,

1. Try changing the channel for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

2. Disable QoS.

Message 7 of 8
Aspirant

Hey Raj,
I’m having the same issue, as I’m currently scouting the web for a fix. My wire connected devices are getting over what I pay for (130mbps) but EVERY device on WiFi skips/stops when I stream and takes forever to load even a simple webpage. My roommate keeps asking me what the hell is wrong with our internet, but I know it’s the router as well as you do. If you find a fix, please let me know, and I’ll do the same if I can! GL Raj!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements