Small home network

pathos
Aspirant

Small home network

Hi Folks,

Just setup an R8000 and has been working perfectly. Have internet/ethernet going from modem to the R8000 and then 4 hardwired rooms and the rest of the house is wireless. I wanted to connect a home server and mac time capsule into the network and assume that I need to put a switch on one of the LAN ports coming out of the R8000 and hook into the switch, including one other hardwire to a computer. When I do this, nothing from the switch is recognized by the R8000 and there is no internet access.

1. Should I be able to use a 4 port switch with its own power source to distribute hard wired lines to other devices?

2. If so, is there some special procedure that needs to be done so that the switch is recognized by the R8000 and I get an ethernet connection to the hardwired devices?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave
Message 1 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Small home network

It should work, I can’t say for sure why it is not.

What is the manufacturer / model number of the switch please?

Does the relevant port light correctly on the R8000 and the switch port it is connected to?

Are you sure the Ethernet cable is good?

If you log into the R8000 admin pages and go to the Advanced Tab, Internet Port, Show Statistics, what do you see for the status of the LAN port that the switch is connected to? (page 123 of the R8000 manual).
pathos
Aspirant

Babylon5,

Thanks very much for your reply and information. I checked the admin status of the LAN ports and the one that I was having issues with was in and out and slow. Looked at the switch and it was an old sub Gigabit one, so replaced all my switches with Netgear 5 and 8 port unmanaged ones this am, and everything is working. The real problem had been getting one of the hardwires to work simultaneously when I had the home server and Mac Time Capsule running off the same switch. Now they are all working and recognized in the network diagram.

Obviously, networking is not my day job, but the Netgear equipment has really made the job easy with very few issues and with blazing speed.

Current setup is Comcast router (Avis? brand), to R8000, to 3 hardwired rooms with computers and one 8 port gigabit switch from which one hardwired room, the home server, and Time Capsule run off of. On hardwired room has the 5 port switch going to my work computer (medical graphics intensive work over the net) and to a network printer. All is now talking and playing well together.

Thanks much for the help and info.

Best regards,

Pathos:)
Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have a grand total of ten gigabit switches on my LAN, though three are integrated into routers/access points. I have had situations in the past with auto negotiation failures but thankfully no issues for several years now and the network is very stable.

If you run into any further issues please feel free to post back.
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E