Re: Smart Connect

myersw
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Can't speak for the tri-band routers like the R8000P - on dual-band routers supporting Smart Connect only one SSID can be configured, the other radio SSID (network names) can't be configured individually. This makes perfect sense.

Same for the tri-band routers. At least for my r8000p I had. Again, like you say, makes perfect sense. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 26 of 31
IrvSp
Master

@DaWeav wrote:

As I mentioned, I was able to do that and set the SSID name on both 5GHz radios to the same name (example NetgearA), and left the 2.4Ghz on a different SSID name (example Netgear). The R8000P so far has not evenly load balanced the 5Ghz connected devices accross the two 5GHz radio bands with nine devices on the '5GHz Wireless' and four devices on the 'Second 5GHz Wireless', but whether or not it is supposed to 'load balance', it's at least better than having two different SSID names for each 5GHz radio band.

I don't understand what you are trying to prove here? You also don't understand it seems what happens when you do this?

Yes, you can manually set the same SSID and P/W for all SSID's. Some routers may not allow this, others do.

Using Smart Connect the ROUTER with its infinite wisdom will decide on which SSID Band to connect the device to. It WILL Load Balance when doing that.

In the case above, it is the DEVICE that decides where to connect. Each device might even make a choice differenly each time. It depends on:

• How close to the router it is?
  • If the device had prior connections to the SSID band?
  • If the device 'knows' about all bands?
  • The 'power' the device sees for each SSID band?
  • How the device 'sorts' SSID's based on internal data.

Using SC, you have NO CONTOL. Using the same name for SSID and P/W, you have NO CONTROL. This is the MAIN POINT you seem to be missing.

Being able to do it is interesting, and that is all.

CONTROL is important, especially if you are mixing device speeds. Even the uses on the bands. You can only OPTIMIZE that by doing manual assignment to SSID's.

What you can do and what the router can do are two different things when it comes to device performance.

Message 27 of 31
tadhgp
Initiate

I tried doing this early on when I started this discussion. The printer and some of my other devices will only use 2.4, so when I used a different SSID, the computer wouldn't recognize them as being on the network.

Message 28 of 31

@tadhgp wrote:

The printer and some of my other devices will only use 2.4, so when I used a different SSID, the computer wouldn't recognize them as being on the network.

Too many unknowns in there.

That scenario tells us not a lot without detailed information on how the printer is set up and how the PC connects and is configured.

Every printer I have encountered does 2.4 GHz and only 2.4 GHz. (Newer ones may be faster.) That is fast enough for the task in hand and more reliable in terms of range.

What my PC sees is down to how I have configured it to work on the network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 29 of 31
schumaku
Guru

Agree with @michaelkenward .

@tadhgp wrote:

The printer and some of my other devices will only use 2.4, so when I used a different SSID, the computer wouldn't recognize them as being on the network.

Unless you are using a guest SSID, all radios connect in a transparent way to the same L2 network, the same TCP/IP subnet - printers, IoT, ... or whatever should be discoverable by Multicast protocols (eg. Bonjour and the like), IP broadcast, ... from any radio or from the LAN. I say "should" - because we now having seen older Netgear routers which appear to have limitations which were never addressed.

Message 30 of 31
myersw
Master

Is there any other device that can print to this printer or is it just the one computer that is used to print? As was said above, there should be no reason that the printer is not discovered. Have used Linksys, Asus and Netgear routers with the same printer I have and never had an issue with being able to print. Printer always connects to the 2.4 network and Computers are on the 5.0. Have you checked to see what the printer's IP address and tried to ping it from computer in question? That would say basic connectivity is there. So much to read here you may have tried that, if so sorry. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E