Software is crap as is support

copperavery
Tutor

Software is crap as is support

Netgear makes some pretty damn good hardware, but their software and their support stink. 90 days..then it costs a fortune

to get any answers. I have just been on this site for 2 hours trying to find why, after I updated the firmware, and decided to download and install the

Genie and add a USB hard drive, why I can't log into the router any more It will not take the password that has been on it for over a year. NOw I

have to reset and start over. Why can't I just plug in a hard drive to access it? Why only certain hard drives....ones that Netgear have a stake in?

I guess Netgear is somw big and dominant they can do what they please....geeeze 90 days...come to think of it, i did send a query in durning the

90 day peiod and never got a reply. Ill add firmware to my list, as it probably caused the password problem.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: Software is crap as is support

Not sure which router you have.  It is very common for a firmware change to corrupt the routers configuration. 

It is always recommended to perform a reset using the reset button on the back of the router held in for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink after every firmware change.

Message 2 of 10

@copperavery wrote:
Why can't I just plug in a hard drive to access it? Why only certain hard drives....ones that Netgear have a stake in?

The issue with hard drives is not restricted to Netgear and modems and routers.

The problem is that drive makers keep coming up with new technology that won't work on old kit. For example, ever larger USB3 drives can cause grief. Even Windows will gag on them without the right drivers, and you can't slap new "drivers" on a router, or on a network attached storage box, without some effort.

Companies like Netgear can't be bothered to fix things for five-year old hardware. No money in it I guess.

Some of us remember when it took hell's own effort to get Windows to see TB drives. We still have to jump through hoops to get it to install on an m.2 PCI-e drive.

The way to deal with this issue is to check the compatibility before you buy a new drive.

LeeH has suggested an answer to your login problem. A reset is not always needed after a firmware flash, but it is the first move if you have any problems after a flash. New firmware may have features and tweaks that simply are not compatible with older settings.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 10
William10a
Master

True in a router you have to the clear nvram memory sometimes software just not work with every os or device out in the world a wide range  of factors can get in the end aging parts not working just right or a set of rules that run another program and reset just will not work.

Message 4 of 10

Appart of a DM200 issues each time I upgrade the FW all my equipment is flawless on FW upgrade!

Message 5 of 10
William10a
Master

I was talking more about more then firmware for router's and other networking devices. I was refering to the devices we add to are computers , tv, even todays cars with gps, cellphones remote starting name it software and a computers are coming to fill to every minute of are lives.

Message 6 of 10

When I FW upgrade all my custom settings are present and active without any kind of issues!

Message 7 of 10
William10a
Master

I agree that a higher percentage of firmware/drivers work in most cases but there are times when events the best of design software can cause issues if another driver or program is not well design or hardware issues shows up.

Message 8 of 10

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

When I FW upgrade all my custom settings are present and active without any kind of issues!

But some firmware upgrades make significant changes to the operation of the hardware. These can sometimes be incompatible with the previous configuration.

I those cases you have to reset the device to its factory settings, thus wiping out your configuration.

This is not always necessary, although some people recommend it.

So, you are correct in saying that custom settings are usually still there after a firmware flash, but sometimes it isn't the best thing to have.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 10
IrvSp
Master

What USB drive did you add?

It is spotty using some I understand. Two factors make that happen, the size of the drive and if it is a POWERED USB drive.

Some portables draw power from the USB port and that could cause problems. Those same drives will work fine on a PC. Same goes for USB's plugged into expanders and then into the router. Doesn't work I understand.

Drive size could be an issue, just like Windows had a problem with newer larger hard drives that came along after the OS was released. Formats too could be a problem as well but I think all are supported. One thing to do though, bring it to a PC and make sure CHKDSK finds no errors.

A USB problem could cause the router to lock-up possibly.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements