Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Solid read (or possibly amber) light on the Nighthawk X10 router.

Futureline
Aspirant

Solid read (or possibly amber) light on the Nighthawk X10 router.

Hi, I'm new here,-and although I've found an answer to my question regarding other, older routers, i need a confirmation on this regarding my new Nighthawk X10-router:

On two of the ports (number 3 and 5) i have connected a 4K bluray-player, and an IPTV-box from Dreambox, called Dreamtv Mini 4K UltraHD.

And since both these items are made for 4K, I can't see the logic in that they are limited to a transfer rate of 100mbps, when I have 6 gigabit ports.

In other discussions they say that red or amber light indicates that.

But, in another thread, there was one guy that said that it meant it was a gigabit line, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation or documentation on it.

I have a 500/500mb -fiberline, and would very much appreciate if anyone could confirm what would be the correct info regarding this particular router.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Solid read (or possibly amber) light on the Nighthawk X10 router.

the Dreamtv Mini 4K has a 10/100mbps connection built into it. not 1gig. The router detects that and that's why that's what the light is. 

It can't connect faster than 10/100mbps because the box isn't rated higher. More than likely the blu-ray player is the same. Not 100% because you didn't put a model number.

Reason why? 

most streaming content doesn't need super high speeds to reliably stream. 4k content usually maxes out around 25-40mbps. And with devices being hardwired in, 100mbps connection still provides those speeds plus some. 

Plus wired speeds don't have to worry about interference or network overhead. So that 100mbps connection is going to hit 90-95mbps pretty reliably. Versus wireless isn't that. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the Dreamtv Mini 4K has a 10/100mbps connection built into it. not 1gig. The router detects that and that's why that's what the light is. 

It can't connect faster than 10/100mbps because the box isn't rated higher. More than likely the blu-ray player is the same. Not 100% because you didn't put a model number.

Reason why? 

most streaming content doesn't need super high speeds to reliably stream. 4k content usually maxes out around 25-40mbps. And with devices being hardwired in, 100mbps connection still provides those speeds plus some. 

Plus wired speeds don't have to worry about interference or network overhead. So that 100mbps connection is going to hit 90-95mbps pretty reliably. Versus wireless isn't that. 

Message 2 of 3
Futureline
Aspirant

OK, thanks for a great explanation, I didn't get the logics out of it myself, bit that explained it well.

Thank you very much!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7