adityaag
Initiate

Solution for ReadyShare is not accessible in Windows 10

For those of you who have a ReadyShare capable router and are failing to access it on Windows 10 I've found another fix.  There has been lots of talk with something about uninstalling KB3189866 and setting up windows credentials.  Neither of those worked for me so I gave up for a while and then decided to keep on digging.

TL;DR;  The fix that worked can be found here.  Enable guess access in the smb2 client:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10...

Now the exact error I used to get was the following:

Windows cannot access \\READYSHARE (or whatever you've called your share here)

Check the spelling of the name.  Otherwise, there may be a problem with your network.  To identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Error Code 0x80070035

The network path was not found.

Of coures clicking Diagnose yielded nothing.  Setting up windows credentials didn't change the error unless I made the username 'admin' in which case I got a log in prompt but simply couldn't log in.

From all my reading, it seemed what was needed by ReadyShare was the ability for the SMB client to log in as a guest.  Well, I stumbled upon the following document that outlines exactly how to enable that (by mistake as I was trying to learn more about Windows 10 SMB):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10...

Once you go and "Enable insecure guest logins" everything *should* start to work again.  I just disabled it so I could get the error prompt again to copy above and it popped up as expected.  Enabled guest logins and it was back to working.  Just so you're aware, this is for insecure logins that your computer is making, not receiving.  The incoming way is still secured by other group policies.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 6
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Re: Solution for ReadyShare is not accessible in Windows 10

So far, I don't have problem with my R8000 (and presently under testing with newest firmwave😒).  SMB1 automatically enabled in Windows 10 I I elected to enable SMB direct. I will keep this info handy. Great topic

Message 2 of 6

Thanks. I wonder if that will fix something slightly different that has hit me.

I can access the USB drives on Readyshare, but they insist on demanding a password even though they are set up without one.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Might want to look at my thread too on this 'problem'. See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Problem-with-NET-VIEW-W10-R7000-most-recent-...

Although slightly different, it involved NET VIEW and SMB1 though.

There are conflicting 'reports', see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve..., and that states SMB1 is NOT installed. However real-life fresh installs show that it is 'partially'?  You do NOT need the CLIENT, but do need the Server.

In my situation I had NET VIEW (and the READYSHARE access via DLNA clients on an iPad and SmartTV) working and then lost that ability. It seems at least the R7000 needed the SMB1 capability to interact with PC's and once that was lost, access to the READYSHARE was lost, for all devices connected.

Don't know if this really relates to your problem or not, or if you have another solution to the problem, but you might want to read the whole thread I linked here.

Message 4 of 6
lawren
Initiate

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check all subbox from  the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support", then restart the PC, It works for me.

Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@lawren wrote:

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check all subbox from  the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support", then restart the PC, It works for me.

You tagged into a few months OLD thread...

Re-reading my enter, I did have it backwards. You DO NEED the SMB1 Client and DO NOT NEED the SMB1 Server.

I should also tell you that I have an OPEN problem verified by NG support that  the USB Share problem HAS been recreated AND is being worked.

===============

Case #: 29936026
Case Summary: Case Endorsement from Community_Nighthawk Router ReadySHARE should support SMB2 **L2ML
Product: R8000

Update from NETGEAR:

Hi Irv,

Good day.

My name is Alvin from the Level 3 Team and I have received your escalated case. I'm the one directly working with our engineers to resolve the issue that you're reporting. First of all, I'd like to apologize for the delay here. The engineers needed to review all the data that we've provided and to replicate the problem. I'd like to inform you that they could reproduce the issue that you've reported. They are currently working on resolving this. I'll be pushing them for updates and once I have their feedback, I'd message you right away.

Regards,
Alvin

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements