Some problems

pepe999
Aspirant

Some problems

Hi guys,
I have got this router over the AC68U Asus but I don't think it was a good idea. This forum shows that the router is not as good as advertised. Got the latest firmware 1.0.3.60 but the router drops the 5GHz connection at random and won't let me connect back in. I thought it's when another device is connected that doesn't support TKIP. I can't change it to the mixed option TKIP + AES because the router says that the TKIP doesn't support AC and when I select it anyway it won't stay and goes back to AES seconds after clicking on apply. That's a serious issue that I have never experienced with Asus RT-N66U before and the speed is about the same even when I use Intel 7260AC. I see it could be a firmware issue but it looks like Netgear don't give a s**t about it.
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Some problems

If you need to run mixed mode try lowering to 600 or use 2.4 for the client that doesn't support WPA2.

As for connection drops I'm not seeing it, using 3 Intel AC 7260 and .60 FW Try factory defaults and then enter the configs manually. Using saved configs have been known to cause problems when updating FW
Message 2 of 8
pepe999
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply!! I use the 5GHz network only for my laptop now. I have once used another laptop that I already sold with Intel WifiLink 5100 at 5GHz and then couldn't connect with the 7260AC. I have set 600 for the 2.4GHz and 1300 for the 5GHz. However, when I get kicked out from the 5GHz network and connect to the 2.4GHz I won't get more than 11Mbps on the 7260AC. The old Asus is still in the box ready to be used again. The new firmware looks like for an AC router because there are 4 channels (36, 40, 44, 48) in the settings for the 5GHz network like on the R7000.
Message 3 of 8
pepe999
Aspirant

Someone's Android phone just kicked me out of the network. It's connected to the 2.4GHz one but still kicked me out anyway. I'm sick of this crap and getting back the old Asus.
Message 4 of 8
Redtulips7
Apprentice

AC7260 has a serious problem on 2.4Ghz Band but 5Ghz is fine!!!I have the same AC7260 in Alienware M18XR2 Laptop,if you want to use 2.4Ghz uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence and use Channel 6 or different Channel instead of using AUTO!!!
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 5 of 8
s52m3
Aspirant

I'm with you, I have serious buyers remorse with this router but sadly I'm not going to toss 150 bucks out of the window, going to have to stick it out. If there were idiot proof DD-WRT instructions somewhere I'd give them a shot, but the stock firmware (all of them) are terrible in my experience. Wireless connections are dropping on both bands from time to time. I don't use any of the cool features of this damn thing, I only need it to do the absolute basics right.
Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

pepe999 wrote:
Someone's Android phone just kicked me out of the network. It's connected to the 2.4GHz one but still kicked me out anyway.

Based on this I would factory reset it, Hold reset until power flashes then start over.
Message 7 of 8
pepe999
Aspirant

I'll wait until some better firmware will be out. So far back on Asus and speed is 240-270Mbps. It's even higher than on the Netgear.:)
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E