Sorry if this has been covered, I am a newbie. DRASTIC drop in Mbps 10ft away from router on wifi

KerryLeigh1213
Follower

Sorry if this has been covered, I am a newbie. DRASTIC drop in Mbps 10ft away from router on wifi

Connected I get over 100Mbps.  Disconnected right next to it I get 50Mbps.

10 feet away down to 25Mbps.  Upstairs in my office ( about 25 ft through floor) it is down to 14Mbps.

Is something set up wrong?  That is a drastic difference isnt it?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Re: Sorry if this has been covered, I am a newbie. DRASTIC drop in Mbps 10ft away from router on wi

Are you talking wired or wireless, or did you mean you got 100Mbps wired and a short distance way using wireless you got less?

Wireless may never be the same as wired. A lot of things matter for wireless besides distance away:

• SSID band you are on?
  • Channel used?
  • Security Used?
  • Other devices on the SSID?
  • Device used?
  • Number of antennea's on device?
  • OS used?
  • Latest driver for device?
  • Local signals creating Interference?
  • Composition of walls?

If on Windows and using Wireless, a good program to get is ACRYLIC. It will show signal strength, local signals and bands (if you have a DUAL BAND device), and channels they use. With that info you get a better handle if there is a problem and alter band channels to a less used one.

Message 2 of 4

Re: Sorry if this has been covered, I am a newbie. DRASTIC drop in Mbps 10ft away from router on wi

.... and if wireless, is that 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

Remember 5 GHz is faster but has a shorter range.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 4
duckware
Prodigy

In your client device, what is the PHY speed (see duckware.com/wifi#wifispeeds for Windows/Android).  Then in speed tests, you only expect to get around 50% of that.

If you are connected to your "5G" SSID, you should be getting a very high PHY speed.  Typical would be above 700 Mbps).

For testing purposes, make sure your 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID names are different (eg: XXX and XXX-5G, where XXX is a name you select).  Often times you name the two the SAME -- and the client device connects to the best one.  But you may be running into some issue?  So, manaully try to connect to the 5G SSID and test that speed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E