Source Code

LeeH
Prodigy

Source Code

I downloaded the source code for firmware R7000-V1.0.3.68_1.1.31 and took a quick look at it. It appears to be based on BusyBox from at least as far back as 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox
http://www.busybox.net/

It is being compiled on Fedora 6.

It sure would be nice to have them update it to the current 2014 release of BusyBox 1.22.1 (stable). This would take care of many of our problems including the DHCP problems that give me trouble. But it would take a lot of effort to migrate. Probably to expensive for Netgear to consider.
Message 1 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Source Code

Yes, the fact that dd-wrt is now using the 3.10.54 Linux kernel has fixed one particularly long-lived IPv6 problem for me. Updating things does take time, but can be really helpful.
Message 2 of 7
MatM
Guide

LeeH wrote:
Probably to expensive for Netgear to consider.

why too expensive? I mean - Netgear want to give out Hardware in the Future - so they have to do new Software/Firmware also. Too expensive is no argument !
Message 3 of 7
MatM
Guide

oh and I forgot - I would open a Ticket with this - Software from 2001 in 2014?
Message 4 of 7
LeeH
Prodigy

OK, I dug around in the source code some more and found the BusyBox Version of 1.7.0 (unstable) August 2007. The succeeding stable version is 16 September 2007 -- BusyBox 1.7.1 (stable) with the note of "This is a bugfix-only release, with fixes to cp, runsv, tar, busybox --install and build system." This is not as bad as what the notes in the DHCP code would have us believe.
They may also be doing diff's on the code to add in subsequent changes like what Red Hat does with version 5.x of their source code. I didn't see any tags that I could grep for in order to find notes on changes to the code.
I purchased my R7000 in November of last year and can no longer get support without paying for it. So I won't be putting in a ticket for this.
Message 5 of 7
MatM
Guide

how long can u use the support? No one told me about costs? I registered my Netgear 1 month ago so how long can I open Tickets?
Message 6 of 7
LeeH
Prodigy

It is 90 days of support and I think it is 1 year on the hardware replacement. You must pay for a 1 year support contract.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements