Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Spam email RE R7000 Firmware?

ShirinS
Aspirant

Spam email RE R7000 Firmware?

I received 5 emails about firmware vulnerability for the R7000. Is this spam? Email is below.

Date: June 21, 2017 at 9:21:10 AM PDT
Subject: Important Security Update from NETGEAR, June 21, 2017
Reply-To: "NETGEAR" <reply-fe601773716203787416-1444696_TEXT-54393419-10907971-24091@e.netgear.com>

Title
View this
http://view.e.netgear.com/?qs=f8bdfc8c9775dbd050cfb2a7357767818f9b582d4e22c335d5c97b017bfc849b1b852c...
email online

http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b50398815296d0b85d06d1ab45aef40b018929b194f4af9f80b115eb92fe54...

Important Security Update from NETGEAR:
New Firmware Is Available for Your Product

Our records indicate that you own the following product: R7000. NETGEAR is aware of one or more security vulnerabilities affecting your NETGEAR product. NETGEAR has released firmware fixes for one or more vulnerabilities affecting your R7000.

What You Can Do:

NETGEAR recommends that you download and install the latest firmware for your affected product.

To download the latest firmware for your product:

1. Visit
http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b50398815efe820aa5145ab6f7b6c457fe193b80abf57ce996f0bf35941053...
netgear.com/support .
2. Start typing your model number in the search box, then select your model from the drop-down menu as soon as it appears. If you do not see a drop-down menu, make sure that you entered your model number correctly, or select a product category to browse for your product model.
3. Click Downloads.
4. Under Current Versions, select the download whose title begins with Firmware Version.
5. If you see a Release Notes link, click it.
6. If you do not see a Release Notes link, click Download.
7. Follow the instructions in the release notes to download and install the new firmware.
8. If you do not see any release notes or if the release notes do not have installation instructions, follow the firmware upgrade instructions in your product's user manual, which is available under User Guides and Documentation.
Note: If your product does not have a user manual, look for a software administration manual, reference manual, or configuration utility user guide.
9. (Optional) To view the security advisories for all vulnerabilities that affect your product, return to your product's support page and click Security.
This category also contains knowledge base articles about improving the security of your NETGEAR product.What We Are Doing:

It is NETGEAR's mission to be the innovative leader in connecting the world to the Internet. To achieve this mission, we strive to earn and maintain the trust of our customers by being proactive rather than reactive to emerging security issues. We appreciate and value having security concerns brought to our attention.

For more information about security at NETGEAR, or to report a security vulnerability, visit
http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b503988155100f099c17b515f76ed4795cb69a5ab643b097a694dfc5636c62...
http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b503988154c9f7903b2bf95e4ad5fe1e0f7526daa0e31997729c9dbf527238...

http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b50398815b3b67c012a880f153ab6d529c4a70bc451fc425b172e9df6b21a5...
WWW.NETGEAR.COM

http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b50398815c2f96be9092610c7ff166194f497a759c4d6da93c2e5b3912b32e...

http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b50398815639b6619695f68c71577f65db90cfe34ea65412b3714174c30e85...

http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b5039881504ff781676b1998be61ebe89ab0e2329b9af0b7e588604e6d4c3e...

http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b5039881528f18196f560a7bfb04a381bfdbeafafddf4996c86345dc6bbdb9...

http://click.e.netgear.com/?qs=045bc88b5039881598077d0d8aa7c16710672b5d82a74b65fcde1723d2b587612746f...

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
LegendXXX
Aspirant

It's working now.  It seems to have been down for a couple of days.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 27

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your router using the lastest FW updates directly from the NG support site and loaded by you? 

You might phone contact NG support and ask about this...

Message 2 of 27
thelemonkid
Luminary

It is spam I think. I got the same mail. But it tells you also that somehow netgear has breached your provacy...... How do these spammers otherwise get your credentials?

Message 3 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's not a spam, it's legit. We are sending this out to inform our users about security updates. 

Message 4 of 27
thelemonkid
Luminary

Then why is there no update at all available!? Do you send these mails just to mail around or is there any sense in them? because I can't find the update.

Message 5 of 27
claudbtc
Aspirant

I received similar email today for another router - see below. But when I checked for a firmware update, there was none.

Important Security Update from NETGEAR:
New Firmware Is Available for Your Product

Our records indicate that you own the following product: WNR2000v5. NETGEAR is aware of one or more security vulnerabilities affecting your NETGEAR product. NETGEAR has released firmware fixes for one or more vulnerabilities affecting your WNR2000v5.

What You Can Do:
NETGEAR recommends that you download and install the latest firmware for your affected product.

To download the latest firmware for your product:

1. Visit netgear.com/support.
  2. Start typing your model number in the search box, then select your model from the drop-down menu as soon as it appears. If you do not see a drop-down menu, make sure that you entered your model number correctly, or select a product category to browse for your product model.
  3. Click Downloads.
  4. Under Current Versions, select the download whose title begins with Firmware Version.
  5. If you see a Release Notes link, click it.
  6. If you do not see a Release Notes link, click Download.
  7. Follow the instructions in the release notes to download and install the new firmware.
  8. If you do not see any release notes or if the release notes do not have installation instructions, follow the firmware upgrade instructions in your product's user manual, which is available under User Guides and Documentation.
    Note: If your product does not have a user manual, look for a software administration manual, reference manual, or configuration utility user guide.
  9. (Optional) To view the security advisories for all vulnerabilities that affect your product, return to your product's support page and click Security.
    This category also contains knowledge base articles about improving the security of your NETGEAR product.

What We Are Doing:
It is NETGEAR's mission to be the innovative leader in connecting the world to the Internet. To achieve this mission, we strive to earn and maintain the trust of our customers by being proactive rather than reactive to emerging security issues. We appreciate and value having security concerns brought to our attention.

For more information about security at NETGEAR, or to report a security vulnerability, visit http://www.netgear.com/about/security.   WWW.NETGEAR.COM           This message was intended for: [my email address]using NETGEAR Security@e.netgear.com on behalf of NETGEAR Security Advisory; NETGEAR Inc. 350 East P...
NETGEAR Security@e.netgear.com to your address book.
You are receiving this email because you are a NETGEAR customer or signed up to receive communications. You may change your preferences or unsubscribe at any time.
NETGEAR and the NETGEAR logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of NETGEAR, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective holder(s). Information is subject to change without notice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Message 6 of 27
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

I think what Elaine meant, was that this is a general notification for all registered owners, to tell or remind them to update to latest firmware verison IF THEY HAVE NOT DONE SO ALREADY.......I guess not everybody is necessarily updating the firmware everytime there is an update released!   😉

And since Netgear does not log/track every users router firmware version, they choose to release a general reminder notification to all users.

Elaine can correct me if I am wrong here!  🙂

Message 7 of 27
bjwierda
Aspirant

Same mail, no update available.

download site only shows north america update

Does this mean the eu routers are save, or are the eu router screwed for the time being.

Current Firmware Version V1.0.7.12_1.2.5

and the north America update does not show any security fixes either so this is rather confusing

I dont expect mail about a "new" firmware version that has been online for over 4 months or so

Message 8 of 27
William10a
Master

If they are senting e-mails again possible firmware updates that is a nice thing and the fact people always do not keep track of the version of firmware they are running with the ten thousand things we have to do in our lives, so at lease reminds them to check.

Message 9 of 27
Longmontgene
Aspirant

I got the same email.  Whenever I go to the website following the instructions I get a messaage that it is unsecure and it may be dangerous to access as it has not been set up properly.  I get to the "Release Notes", then when I click on it, I get the "insecure" message.  Very frustrating if we are supposed to download the software.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 10 of 27
William10a
Master

Is the web site you are directed too anything this https://www.netgear.com/support/ or different?

I like to the web site my self and get the update and not use a link in a e-mail.

Message 11 of 27
shamarin
Virtuoso

Get the same email from Netgear.

Message 12 of 27
bobber575
Aspirant

I also got this e-mail warning of gloom and doom if I did not promptly update my router firmware. No version information, or original release dates, just dire consequences if I do not update right now! Just a little bit of detctive work reveals that I have the latest and greatest firmware, installed last month, and it has very little to do with security!

Has Netgear joined the ranks of FUD despensers?

Message 13 of 27
William10a
Master

I'am not sure what is going I looked at some of the links posted and found that I would not trust them enough to download anything little alone to give them any information they ask for.

They look like links to other web sites if Netgear do this why are doing this way?

At lease this is making people think their firmware and who you who want to get it from.

Message 14 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's correct @Mr_DJ and thank you for that follow up answer. 

@bjwierda EU customers are safe, just make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Firmware version 1.0.8.34 has an additional feature (router data analytics) and doesn't necessarily mean that they are more secure. Firmware version 1.0.8.34 contains all fixes/enhancement in 1.0.7.12 and with router data analytics feature. 

Message 15 of 27
J_A_User
Initiate

I too received the very same worded Netgear notice for another Netgear product on that date.  Mine has been updated to latest firmware many months ago.  In researching other user's experience, I came across the following post,

"The origiinal message source indicates the message was sent from a server with the IP
address 136.147.187.62. A WhoIs query indicates that IP address belongs to either
Salesforce.com, Inc. in San Francisco or else ExactTarget, Inc. in Indianapolis. According
to Wikipedia, ExactTarget was the original name of Salesforce.com; but neither is
connected to Netgear.
The return E-mail address domain was NOT netgear.com but e.netgear.com. A DNS
lookup for netgear.com yields the IP addresses 54.200.99.0 and 54.218.118.186, both of
which belong to Amazon. A DNS lookup for e.netgear.com, however, yields the IP address
68.232.201.28, which belongs to ExactTarget.
Since the US-CERT (an agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security)
has not reported a Netgear security vulnerability for June, this whole mess smells."

Given the range of products that seem to have been reported as needing security updates, does anyone know if Netgear has seen/commented on this matter?

Message 16 of 27
thelemonkid
Luminary

@J_A_User

Thank you for your excellent detection work! Indeed I also had my doubts about the origins of the mail that was sent. But an employee of Netgear @ElaineM, assured us that it was in fact a Netgear sent (spam) mail. I use the word spam here because after all this is such a piece of unnecessary mail that it defines as such. It does not inform the users, it is not compiled like a 'remember to' or 'be sure to check the download section from time to time' mail. Instead it makes the user believe that it is absolute essential to update now and straight away. While there is no reason to do so right now because a of new infection that will take over all that is digital.

But I don't understand why:

1) The sender is not Netgear but another address

2) The mail talks about security but has CLICKABLE LINKS ....... (did someone at Netgear ever read about security...???)

It is so weird that the mail is not really netgear that it is striking!

Just recently a scam was discovered where senders would use Cyrillic, Chinese, Thai or other Characters that most western users do not have on their computer. Those characters were then transformed into western letters by the software on the users computer. In a browser like Firefox these look like legitimate addresses. So when you click on them you would end up a a site that looked legitimate but was infact a complete different address written in another language. However in the addressfield you could not see that!

So I never trust mails sent out by a company when it has a clickable link. But apparently at Netgear they don't take your security serious. And from your e-mail I fear that our e-mail addresses are in the hands of some marketing companies, thanks to Netgear.

Message 17 of 27
bjwierda
Aspirant

Wakeup NetGear, Reply already !!!

As mentioned above this whole mail thingy doesnt make any sense at all, and got me worried.

If its from Netgear its made by an amature

Message 18 of 27
ShirinS
Aspirant

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I didn't click on the links, and instead logged in to my account and installed updates from there.

To Netgear, maybe change your procedure for letting ppl know it's time for an upgrade. 5 simultaneous emails that look a lot like SPAM isn't the best method.
Message 19 of 27
William10a
Master

I use a virtual box to view the links.

The best way would to sent a e-mail from Netgear it's self to all the owners of their routers about possible updates and let the people them selves go to netgear's website to get their firmware on their own.

Spam mail is not the way to go.

Message 20 of 27
bjwierda
Aspirant

Just got this SOLUTION mail about this topic form netgear

"

To manage your notifications, click here.

If this link doesn't work:

1. Log on to NETGEAR Communities.
  2. Click My Profile.
  3. Click the Subscriptions & Notifications tab.
  4. Change your settings and click Save Changes.

Thanks for being a NETGEAR Communities member.

Your NETGEAR Communities Team

NETGEAR Communities sent this message to ***.

Don't want to receive emails from us? Just click here "

*****************************************************************************************************************************

As i cant reply, ill do it here.

I dont want to unsubscribe notifications.

Just next time send e-mails about new firmware when its released, and not 4 months afterwards.

Or at least add the latest firmware version in your mail, so i can see that im up 2 date.

And dont have to panic and search the internet for some secret firmware release

ty very much

Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 27
LegendXXX
Aspirant

Even better:

The NetGear Downloads site is unreachable.  So I NEED to download this VITAL security update (that's months old) RIGHT NOW but I can't.  That's COLD, Man...

Dave

Message 23 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LegendXXX Which site did you go? It's working for me.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com

http://www.netgear.com/support/

Message 24 of 27
LegendXXX
Aspirant

It's working now.  It seems to have been down for a couple of days.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7