Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speaking of it aint broken lets fix it

JohnnyWB
Tutor

Speaking of it aint broken lets fix it

I am finally about to get my router secured and keep people from intruding, right?  Wrong.  Now they are just coming in through my: "Realteck PCIE GBS Family Control"  Now what the round world is that, why is it available for someone to do that, and how do I shut them down now?  I am telling, I about to go back to hard wired and forget about using wifi and being subjected to all the problems this now creates for me.

I mean, as soon as I get one problem fixed, it's another that crops up with these things.  I am thinking that wifi prodcers need to put out a warning label, worning the innocent lambs who dive into this cesspool of problems.

Signed getting very tired and frustrated with this.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Speaking of it aint broken lets fix it

Perhaps you should change the Wi-Fi password.  And if you have changed the admin password on your router, you should take care of that, too. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

I did a web search for "Realteck PCIE GBS Family Control" and didn't find anything.  OTOH, I did find "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" which refers to a wired, Gigabit Ethernet interface.  It has nothing to do with Wi-Fi.

Can you provide more details about how people are intruding through your Realtek Ethernet interface?  Without knowing the details, I'd hazard to guess that you may have some malware on your computer.

Message 2 of 7
JohnnyWB
Tutor

Okay.  Go to home page and then look at the Network Map Button.  Click on that button and  you get a screen that has 3 button int he to right hand side.  One is a refresh button and the other 2 are Braodcom Wlan Adapter and the other is the Real teck adapter.  Each one of those shows people on my wifi and not always those that have permission to be there.  So it's like I am getting a double dose of the # of people that are using my wifi, with or withoutmy permission. Hope that helps you.

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

It sounds like you are talking about the Netgear Genie desktop app?

Is your Wi-Fi network configured with a password?  On the Genie desktop app, I believe you can go to Router Settings, then Wireless Settings.  If there is no password, then click Modify and set up a password.  WPA2-PSK security is the best security option.  Click Apply to save the change.  You will have to go all your devices and use this password to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network. 

Message 4 of 7
JohnnyWB
Tutor

Yes, I am that level of protection and a password is required to log onto my network.

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Perhaps you should change the Wi-Fi password.  And if you have changed the admin password on your router, you should take care of that, too. 

Message 6 of 7
JohnnyWB
Tutor

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements