Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Spectrum 400 ultra internet only getting half speed

Alexboiiii
Aspirant

Spectrum 400 ultra internet only getting half speed

Hi,

I just upgraded my internet service and can’t get more than 250 down from my router. I can if I connect into it, but other than that it’s only giving me half power. Spectrum came by today and plugged there router in to my modem with my cables and got 450 down and 50 up so the speed is there just not working on my night hawk. Any suggestions?
Yes I checked cables, and yes I resented already.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Spectrum 400 ultra internet only getting half speed

Make sure qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are all disabled. 

So it gets full speed if hardwired in? 

so you're testing wireless? 

Message 2 of 8
Alexboiiii
Aspirant

Correct I am testing wirelessly. On 5G dual band. All of those setting are off. Seems like it may be a night hawk and spectrum problem.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

what actual device are you testing on?

there's lots of misunderstanding about wifi and speeds. wifi speeds aren't the same as wired speeds. I'd recommend reading this article to understand more about wifi . 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 4 of 8
Alexboiiii
Aspirant

The gentleman who came to my house had a router that he plugged into my modem and got 450 wirelessly so the only component that changed was the nighthawk router. Sadly it seems like I will be having to get a new router. Cause the spectrum dude made it happen right in front of me so...
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

and was he testing over 5ghz/2.4ghz?

And what device was he testing on? Yours? or his? 

You can always buy a new router but its usually not the router that's the limiting factor

Message 6 of 8
Alexboiiii
Aspirant

He tested on 5ghz not sure what router but he was using my modem. My router is a r7000 dual band night hawk. He was using ookla Speedtest on his equipment and on his phone. We all connected to it and got the numbers over his router, so that’s why I know it’s the router.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

You're not going to hit 450mbps on the r7000. Its a 8 year old device (released in 2013). 

and comparing an 8 year old device to whatever router the tech brought isn't an apples to apples comparison. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7