Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Spectrum Cable Modem and R7000 sudden issue

Rhino_Ninja
Aspirant

Spectrum Cable Modem and R7000 sudden issue

I have had no issues with any Netgear router until yesterday. I am posting from work, as I have no internet at home. I consider myself intermediate when it comes to networking, but I admit I do not know everything. I loathe posting questions, and I have googled this several times this morning.

My network:

Spectrum Cable provided Modem - Ubee (model number unknown replaced when it was TWC about 2 years ago)

to

Router - Nighthawk R7000 with firmware I updated about 2 weeks ago

to

NETGEAR ProSAFE JFS524 (24 port switch, a little overkill I know, but I ran out of ports on the 8 port at one time)

to

2 Windows 7 PCs, 1 Mini-Mac, 1 Linux Box, 2 NAS's and a NETGEAR GS108 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (PS3, XboxOne, SteamBox, SmartTV), old Dell Poweredge I tinker/learn on.

Wifi:

2 chromebooks (kids- one school issued, one personal) 3 Android phones, 2 iphones (no sevice - provided by their mom - divorced), 4 Android tablets)

Woke up yesterday morning, noted there was no internet but network was working fine. Power cycled modem, went to work, son informed me when he got home internet was still down. Got home, switched off R7000, then unplugged Ubee modem. Plugged in Ubee Modem after 30 seconds, powered on R7000. Still nothing. Went to routerlogin.net  In Basic view it showed that there was no internet. In advanced view I saw I had a mac address, DNS, so it appeared to be 'connecting' just not sharing. (my guess)

Went to default settings for intetnet, only thing I changed ever was the DNS based on suggested DNS's one was a google DNS (8.8.8.8), the other one found in some tool I used by a suggestion of a friend who works in Networking full time. 

Nothing, went to my main PC and did a ipconfig /flushdns, - though the issue was with the router, I thought maybe, just maybe it was my main computer causing the issue. It wasn't. (I even changed my desktop background - old tech support joke at previous job)

I called Spectrum. First call they sent some signal to my modem, advised to call back in 10 minutes if not resolved. Wasn't resolved, called back, tech advised he could connect to the modem fine. Asked me to connect my modem direct to the main computer. I did so, I had internet on the main computer. He advised it was the router.

Upset, as my router warrenty expired on Monday Sept 18th - and never having a quality issue with a Netgear router. I decided to factory reset my R7000. Logged into Routerlogin.net, same issue. I then went to my storage and pulled out my netgear 3700 which was working fine before I upgraded (note: I upgraded to a PFsense box for a time until BSD update made the old PC box I was using obsolete, then I purchased the R7000). I triple checked and even swapped out cables, I then took the router off the spot it was on and move it to my desk only hooked up my main PC directly to the router - or as I say simplified my setup. 
I encounter the same issues. I called back to support, they looked into the modem. Could not figure out why the issue was occuring. Because I used two routers, (and I will be borrowing a router from a friend and picking up a N300WNR2000 from Office depot - I tend to stick to a brand if I like their quality and trust their record) they said they would send someone out on Sunday.

Now that I am able to access internet reliably at work (mobile is spotty in my house) I searched these forums and the net, I have seen folks manually enter the MAC address of their modem - something I think is a bit beyond me, but willing to dive into. 

This is on top of spotty service since the TWC take over by Spectrum. Is there something I am missing? My Networking friend after a brief overview asked to check the ARP tables, something above my head. 

Is there anything else I missed or could try? I would rather stick to the r7000 and not buy the new router, but merely use it to test out and maybe keep for a more current backup device.

Sorry for the long post with missing technical info, all of the above is from memory. Perhaps if I can get a good connection on my mobile I can provide better details. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Rhino_Ninja
Aspirant

Re: Spectrum Cable Modem and R7000 sudden issue

SOLVED: I purchased a cable modem, activated it - and found it to be the modem causing the issue.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Sounds like the modem.  Just because they can connect to it doesn't mean it can connect to your router.

Message 2 of 3
Rhino_Ninja
Aspirant

SOLVED: I purchased a cable modem, activated it - and found it to be the modem causing the issue.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7