Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Speed is slower when connected to router R6400v2

blossomjulianne
Aspirant

Speed is slower when connected to router R6400v2

My internet speed when connected to my ISP's modem is 95mbps, when connected to the router it is only 8mbps, sometimes less.

I removed gadgets around it (i.e. Netgear Arlo base), moved it up high near the ceiling, and away from all other electrical interferences,.  It has increased to 17mbps but still far from my ISP's 100mbps plan.  I have tried both wired and wireless. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@blossomjulianne wrote:

My ISP's modem is HUAWEI EchoLife HG8145V

Not easy to find that, but it looks like it could be a "gateway", with a built-in router.

Does it have a  bunch of LAN ports on the back? Does it also do its own wifi? That would confirm it.

If so, you are trying to add a router to a router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Remember, your wifi will never be as fast as a wired connection. And the speed of the wifi devices is down to them rather than the router.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Margare1t
Aspirant

It's worth turning it off, if only to test your Internet speeds afterward

Message 2 of 8

@blossomjulianne wrote:

My internet speed when connected to my ISP's modem is 95mbps,

What is this modem?

Message 3 of 8
blossomjulianne
Aspirant

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8
blossomjulianne
Aspirant

Message 5 of 8

@blossomjulianne wrote:

Not easy to find that, but it looks like it could be a "gateway", with a built-in router.

Does it have a  bunch of LAN ports on the back? Does it also do its own wifi? That would confirm it.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Remember, your wifi will never be as fast as a wired connection. And the speed of the wifi devices is down to them rather than the router.

Message 6 of 8
blossomjulianne
Aspirant

Thank you.  It is indeed another router, thus the conflict.  

@michaelkenward wrote:

@blossomjulianne wrote:

Message 7 of 8

Whether or not the "double NAT" clash causes your speed problem is unclear. It is just something to avoid that can cause various issues.

A quick test would be to put the R6400v2 into wireless access point (AP) mode. If speeds get back to what you expect, you will then have to decide which of the various options to go for, using your gateway as the router or the R6400v2.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7