Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speedtest question

riverplacegolf
Aspirant

Speedtest question

I have both a Netgear Router and Modem. What does the Speedtest on the Nighthawk App test. That measures about 300 MBPS but when I check speed on computer sitting beside the router speed was about 70. Do I have a problem?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Speedtest question

@riverplacegolf wrote:

I have both a Netgear Router and Modem. What does the Speedtest on the Nighthawk App test.

It looks at the speed that the router sees on your Internet connection.

@riverplacegolf wrote:

....when I check speed on computer sitting beside the router speed was about 70.

Tested how? Wifi? Wired?

Message 2 of 5
riverplacegolf
Aspirant

Was Wifi.  But I was very close to the router. 

Message 3 of 5

@riverplacegolf wrote:

Was Wifi.  But I was very close to the router. 

Wifi speeds are never as fast as wired. They also depend on many factors, not least the capabilities of the client device. Some clients can never do much more than 70 Mbps. They are designed like that.

Does this device perform a lot better when you try it with other wifi sources?

Message 4 of 5
riverplacegolf
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses. It really is not a speed issue. I have had issues with losing connection almost daily. The speed issue came up on a support chat with Xfinity where the rep commented that 70 was low for my service. That made me feel something was wrong with the Modem (the Router is newer is why I assumed Modem issue). So I did buy a new modem that does better siupport my service. But I have not noticed any speed issues (before or after new modem) - I was looking for solution to dropping internet connection. And it still is an issue.  

I work from home through a VPN and it was odd because I was still able to stay connected through VPN but was not able to connect to websites (other than Google.com). My IT person at work set up a routine for me to ping router and server at work. And I could do both succesfully while unable to connect to websites. 

So I thought the speed drop through the router might be indicative of a problem causing my connection failure. And Xfinity support was no help. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7